Getting Stood Up

georgert

• Baller
I feel as if my skiing is progressing but I had not seen any video of it in some time. When I did I noticed that the turns are progressive and laid over pretty well but coming out of the turn I'm getting stood up so much so that the ski is flat even before getting on to the first wake. I've been talking to myself about holding the edge angle stronger and longer, but I'm not sure my brain is listening. Any focus points anyone might share?

• Supporting Member

What are your goals? This forum is mostly focused on maximizing buoy count in a slalom course. If that is NOT your goal, please ignore me.

And what is your current level? I am guessing from context that you're developing basic skills on open water. Again, if I've guessed wrong, please ignore me.

If buoys are your goal and my guess is correct, then getting your turns "laid over pretty well" should be the last thing on your mind. The only goal of your turn should be to get back into an efficient leverage position and all of your focus should be on that position. As you get more efficient and thus faster and steeper through the wakes, your turns will naturally sharpen up as you take all that speed into the next pull. But if you are trying to force sharp turns, then you'll merely compromise your leverage position and not progress.

See also this handy collection of resources that @escmanaze assembled:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QuS3JTBfb1-EiCQ4mchHt3qehtBc8lZv29JjPHzw21g

• Baller

@Than_Bogan I would disagree about the forum. I see a lot of questions about boats, bindings, apparel and skiing. I would also disagree about the only goal of the turn.

"The only goal of your turn should be to get back into an efficient leverage position and all of your focus should be on that position" Maybe that's the only goal of YOUR turn but it would not be the only goal of mine.

• Baller
Ditto @DavidN and @lpskier . I’ve been somewhat inconsistent achieving a stacked pull for years. Somehow I had selected c2 years ago based on incorrect advice. This year I switched to A2 and I am much more consistent. That extra millisecond at the end of the turn made all the difference.