Make a 66" ride like a 65"?

fu_man

• Baller
I am at the low end of the weight range for my 66" ski. I am in the middle of the weight range for a 65". Thinking that the shorter ski might be easier to turn I was wondering if it is possible to make the 66 turn a bit tighter by moving the fin forward.

• Baller_

With almost all of the modern skis, turning tight is not an issue as was the rule of thumb for yesteryear’s skis. That was really the jist of my comment. That and “making a ski ride like a smaller ski” will mean something different to every skier you ask, so its really not a useful conversation.

I have long recommended for anyone on the border of weight range to go to the larger size. I believe that even more today than 30 years ago.

To get back to the root of your question, I recommend getting the 66, setting to mfg recommended settings and go from there. How that particular ski blends with your style will determine what, if any changes are needed.

Posting some video is the best way to get useful advice.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
@fu_man I think my daughter is off the low end of her 66” D3, but still runs in to 35 off. I agree with @Bruce_Butterfield, set the ski up to factory and adjust as needed. Btw, I am also in the low end weight for my D3.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller

Wish I was on the low end, weight wise for my ski, @fu_man weight range is a guide, speed line length etc, play a part, if setup correctly, most 66" skis turn very well, there is such a thing as overturning and creating load you can't handle, If technique is good, you only need enough angle to put you a boat length in front of the bouy, or a point at which you know you can make a good turn, this will give you consistency, more confidence, which will lead to more bouys.

"Less is More"