HO Omni tip repair suggestions

trickinainteasy

• Baller

Looking to see whether anyone thinks this ski is repairable or if they have had similar issues.

xc0fj9ndcs0r.jpeg

My girlfriend bought this as her first ski in April of 2018 and has been diligently learning how to ski and run the course. This summer a small crack formed and the above photo was taken in august, the last time she skied. We have gone through the channels to see if it would be warrantied and unfortunately but understandably it is out of the warranty period of one year.

I’d be lying if I said she is not upset and discouraged. She is one of the many skiers we see on the cusp of catching the long term bug of chasing buoys and I can tell this could leave a sour taste in her mouth to the point she leaves the sport.

So, with that said, anyone think this is fixable? Or have similar issues? I would feel comfortable if it was like the other cracks on similar threads I have read, but it spans half of the ski.

Also, besides the crack, this ski is in flawless condition. She has taken care of this ski and kept it covered when not in use.

• Baller

Can you post another picture of the crack?

If it is only the tip, then JB Weld Water Weld to stop the potential delamination and then find a matching nail polish. You can do a wet sand if any final shaping if needed prior to the paint.

If there is a significant crack below the tip, that may change things.

• Baller

I think the jbweld would be too topical and cosmetic/fairing in nature

im thinking first bonding with some 2:1 epoxy to flow between the laminates, clamp to cure, wash the amine blush away with some soapy scotch brite, then follow up with some 2:1 thickened with silica to build up the low spots

• Baller
@trickinainteasy Happy to look further into this, but the photo is too close-up to really see the extent of the damage. If you can DM me a few more, I can make a better assessment.

Sam Avaiusini - HO Sports Company - Director of Inside Sales and Business Operations

• Baller
That middle photo looks like that crack runs all the way down the front right side of the ski and not just the tip. Is that accurate? If so, that shouldn't happen to a two year old ski without any history of dropping the ski. I'm surprised HO doesn't consider this some sort of manufacturing defect.

• Baller

First follow up with (savaiusini) if you get no where try direct to HO ski they should do something. If you do not get any help from them then try this.

This looks like a big delamination at the edge. If it was my ski I would grid it out with a small drimmall to get the extent of damage then back fill with JB weld or epoxy several coats shape and paint.

I am going to buy a HO Omni Carbon this winter and would like to know how this turns out

• Baller
@vic I think @savaiusini is about as "HO Direct" as it gets:) I've been on a Carbon Omni for a year, really love the ski. Mine's traveled by air to FL a few times and skied a lot in season at home. Other than a scratch I put on it...looks like new.

• Baller

I have repaired my ski partners Carbon Omni twice now for the same delamination type issue.

His was a result of two things- 1- He regularly misses deep starts and the handle catches the tip on the way by. 2- He has a habit of standing the ski on it's tip when on the swim platform which also started the separation of the top and bottom right at the tip.

The last repair has held up for this season so far because he has dropped the standing ski on tip and we have worked on his deep starts (with a different ski) so he now rarely misses with the omni.

I repaired his by using a aircraft grade epoxy resin that is thin in viscosity. I spread the top and bottom of the ski apart apart and cleared all the broken down foam from the cavity. Then poured in the epoxy to let it saturate the affected area. I used masking tape to pull the top and bottom together. Followed up by hanging the ski from the tail to allow the resin to pool towards the tip to give the edge some strength. After curing I tinted another mix of epoxy black to fill in the missing chips of the top sheet and sanded smooth followed by polishing the area. This last repair involved approx 6 inches of the tip.

I really appreciate your comments and repairs suggestions, my ski was used 5 times and once in the slalom piste. I keep the ski all the time in the ski sleeve and fin protector on the boat. It nevers touches the ground or hard surfaces. It's a very good point on the impact of the handle, but I don't remember this happening. It's a rather easy ski to get out of the water. I have the same issues already twice, so the first ski was replaced and the second has the same issues.

Honestly I don't see why I should go through the repair, that I really appreciate from you, when the ski is in warranty and HO ignores to reply to my emails or letters.

I ski with HO for more than 15 years, and I will not reccomend it anymore and probably switch to another brand.

Thanks

George