Looking for suggestions for skiing with bad back

countymountie

I spent two months off this summer living in my recliner after I threw out my back after skiing and am a little apprehensive about skiing again.

On my third set, I felt pain in my lower back getting pulled out. After an MRI, I have a slight L3 bulging disc. I couldn't even walk I was in crazy pain. After 2 months and 2 steroid injections I'm feeling better.

Would switching from 2 feet in to 1 foot starts help lower the stress on my back?

Neoprene weight lifting belt? I thought I saw an men's open skier wear one.

Would a Goode Power Vest help or would it just help reduce the load on the arms?

Opinions??

• Baller

I've posted the below several times. Might be something you already know but, I didn't until I had to learn to heal my back. I had a herniation at L5 S1 and healed it without surgery. Walk ... a lot and every day. Sounds too simple but walking is great for our backs. When I started, my left leg would drag behind slightly when walking. It got better every mile and every day and every week. Mile one I would hobble along...by mile three I was noticeably better. Inactivity is the worst possible thing to do.

Train your core to be the strongest link. You do not want your arms and upper body to be stronger than your core. Work on thoracic spine and hip mobility through the winter.

* Crunches shorten the rectus abdominus.

* The lumbar spine has only 3 degrees max rotation per segment while the thoracic spine has up to 7 degrees rotation per segment.

* Shoulders that round forward or have some C shape to them, greatly limit thoracic rotation.

The shortening of rectus abdominus can lead to the C shaped shoulders to some extent. When RA shortens, it flattens the lordotic curve in the low back which greatly weakens it as so much strength derives from the structure of the curve. If the shoulders are rounded and greatly limiting thoracic rotation, then the rotational limits are exceeded in the low back. The low back is now flatter, weaker and subjected to rotational forces that exceed natural limits. If we add to this a lack of hip mobility and short hamstrings the low back is doomed. The rotation is to be derived from the hips and thoracic spine not lumbar.

The lumbar spine needs to be trained for stability not movement. Planks, side planks, walking while carrying one kettlebell overhead etc. can provide superior core training.

• Baller_
Yes, the 1 foot start will reduce the stress a substantial amount. Also core strength is critical. If you can get a few visits to a good PT, they can show you the proper excercises for your specific weaknesses vs trying to read or get tips on the internet. We have all have different "weakest links" and excercises that helped some may or may not have much effect for you.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Solid advice above. I have compression of the L4-5, L5-S1, "jelly has left the DONUT" due to previous sporting injuries. I keep my core and spine strong and mobile.

I switched from double boots to a rtp for performance reasons 10 years ago. Three seasons ago I did a set on a buddies new vapor with double boots, skied well but realized how much more load you take on deep water starts than with one foot out.

Then had a 3 hr drive home. Got out of the car and my posture was similar to Quasimodo, it took a week to get straightened out. Keep your hair dry and switch to the rtp one foot start.

• Baller
I am always fighting a tweaky back and have for years. The things that help me are general weight training specifically including variations on deadlifts and planks (side planks and pushup position and hanging rows) and farmers walks. Sitting in a chair and having a desk job and going soft are back killers. When I get lazy with weight training is generally when I get hurt skiing.

• Baller

Walking, weight training all will help. After back surgery for a rupture of L5/S1, I know I need to change things. I starting biking, at 1st I would have to get off bike after less than 10 minutes and slowly improved to where I could do 90+min.

The two most important thing for me was to change my skiing (less slaming the buoys and improving body position) and lose weight. Biking helped greatly losing weight, but changing what I ate was as large of a factor.

I was running 35 and and on rare occasion 38 at 205-210pounds, but once I was in the 180s, getting up was easier, I could ski more passes, and my back did not hurt as much. It look a couple of years, before my scores started showing improvements, but I was able to keep skiing with less pain in relatively short order.

• Baller
Officials are now measuring the compressive load on the spine during the stacked position in skiing. 600, 700, 800, 900, pounds of load on the human spine while skiing. Is it smart to succumb an already injured spine to a 700 pound compressive load repetitively? Do you think the spinal compressive load is going to make your back better? Neurosurgeons love skiers!

• Baller
I have an issue with the same L3, except instead of a bulging disk my vertebrae is pushing in to my spinal cord and keeps going further, fusion is in the near future. In the meantime like you steroid injections help and the baxmaxx back brace linked above really has made me feel good while skiing. I am a double booter and being able to really tighted up a back brace way beyond and brace I have had before has helped immensely. I think I spent $60 with the BOS coupon code. Worth every penny. Even if it doesn't work for you its just $60. Most of us would pay any amount of money to make out backs feel good again.

• Baller
I ski with a RTP, really helps. Another way to reduce the stress of the deep water start is the jump start. If your site allows it, starting standing on your rear foot and jumping up just when the rope hits dramatically reduces the strain on your back. If you ski with the same driver most of the time you can get in a rhythm to the point where it's almost like starting standing on top of the water. At our site we have an area at both ends set up just to do this. The jump start has allowed my main ski partner to keep skiing after he really screwed up his back last year. He's so dependent on it that if he falls he gets back in the boat and we motor back to the end.

It may be worth a look at the Goode power vest. It can be a bit awkward at first, particularly getting the strap length right but it really does help to unload your back. (Dave Goode developed it for his back issues) Abdominal exercises and yoga help (I use the old p90x ab ripper X and yoga and x stretch but don't overdo it (once a week for each)

• Baller
Could you post a video of your skiing? The reason I ask is because for years I would start to get some lower back issues now and again throughout the season, then, this year I changed posture/technique and have not had any lower back issues at all. I really exaggerated pushing my hips up and shoulders back which allows you to keep your back very straight.

• Baller

Clearly what people have been saying above may help, but from a different prospective I would be asking why did this happen, I would be looking at the Ski, is it the correct size for your weight, should you go up a size, make and type of ski, maybe one that rides a little higher and requires less load.

Depending a what level you are at there are skis out there that perform well, as well as being easier to ski on, allowing you to maintain good position.

I know several skiers that had to stop skiing because of back issues, on the other hand I ski with somebody who is in the possession of the most horrendous x-ray I have ever seen, one side of his lower back has completely collapsed and looks like a plumbers S bend and he still skis into 35off.

We are all individuals and adapt in different ways, I wish you success in getting back on the water.

• Baller

I can't say that crunches are bad. Just be mindful that they can shorten RA. Despite the "6 pack" look of it, that is one muscle group. Planks and other stabilizing exercises are better. There are even body builders who do not do any crunches.

One exercise that proved very helpful was walking with a 50lb weight in one hand hanging free by your side. Go till you are certain that you cannot hold that weight another second and then go some more. Switch hands and start again. Great for grip, lateral stabilization, traps, elongating those muscles that take the load from the boat. Of course, this assumes that your back healed enough to do this without pain.