Advice for a new (used) boat!

Clydesdale

• Baller

I’m in the market for a new (used boat) and would appreciate opinions from those with more experience with newer boats. I’m leaning towards nautique, but would also consider mastercraft if I found the right config/price. I’m an avid skier, albeit not a great one. Most of my skiing is at 32 or 34; 15 or 22 off. My son is at 34/36 and up to 32 off. Also, I’m a heavy skier-215lbs. Big question is re engines. Options include 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2. Ive heard 6.0 is the favorite-strong pull and very reliable. How about the rest? Is reliability really a big concern? Relative to pull, how do the others stack up? Would a skier at my level notice a big difference? I’ve also heard the 5.7 is the least desirable. Should I avoid it altogether, or is it worth considering at a cheaper price.

I’m also trying to avoid the dash screen and go with gauges if I can. I’ve seen a few posts that the screens are less reliable and cost $5k when they go. Does this sound right?

Those are my two biggest questions, but please chime in if there are other options to seek or avoid. I’m trying to keep this in the $50k range. Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Baller

If you're willing to spend that kind of money I'd be getting a ProStar hands down. If you want to save some cash I'd get a 196, few of those are popping up for just around $30k.

While I cannot personally comment on the engines, in a ProStar or a 196, I'd be perfectly happy with the 5.7. If you were looking for a 200 I'd probably opt for a larger engine if the price was right, especially given your son is getting into 36MPH.

• Baller
@Clydesdale if you can find one a Carbon Pro would be a great boat to consider. It’ll have gauges instead of screens. Great wakes and easy to drive. I have one with a 5.7 and the hole shot is plenty good. And the price will be less than the 50k range. 2017 was the last yr they were produced. If you’re ok with that definitely put them on the short list.

• Baller
As far as I am concerned the 5.3L is the least desirable engine period! Have not liked the pull behind any of them! It's just different. The 5.7L in a CC200 is fine near sea level with normal run up length to 36mph. Short setup or higher elevations then no for 36mph

• Baller
@Clydesdale The 5.7 in the CC 200 is not a bad combo. Its just the bigger engines are better. For reference, Chris Parrish set the world record of 2@43off/36mph in 2010 behind a CC200 with the 5.7L engine so the engine choice won't be holding you back.

• Baller_

@Clydesdale - Plenty of comments on which specific boat is 'the best' on this forum and for what reasons, both CC and MC make excellent ski boats, as do Malibu and the Carbon Pro from Centurion being a favorite. The specific boat choice will be a personal one based on your priorities and budget as many have excellent wakes, features, idiosyncrasies.

A couple of questions: what altitude do you use your boat, how loaded is it when skiing and how long is the entry to the course you use. If at altitude, a short course entry or a need to run with multiple bodies while skiing, the larger more powerful engine options will be needed thus pick a 6.0 or 6.2. All your options noted are GM base engines and marinized by various companies (PCM, Indmar, Mercury, Illmor) and reliability may be more related to the marinizer rather than the base engine company. Nobody ever complains about too much power.

• Baller
@DW the boat will be used close to sea level. <500 ft. Plenty of run up space on both ends of the course. Boat typically doesn’t have more than 1 or 2 people when skiing. (Not many ski buddies in the great state of Maine). We spend winters in central Florida, so my plan is to buy in FL this winter and trailer it back to Maine in the spring.... Based on everyone’s great input sounds like the 5.7 is OK in the nautique, and better in the MC. But bigger is always better. Anyone have any thoughts on differences in reliability between the different options? Also, am I right to stay away LCD display, or am I worrying too much about the $5k failures?

• Baller
@Clydesdale re: LCD screens, there was a recent post on the FB group Mastercraft Boat Owners from a guy who repairs these screens at what he said was a fraction of the replacement cost, depending of course on what is wrong. So a failure may not necessarily be a $5K bill.

• Baller
I have a 2016 open bow 200 with the 5.3L DI H5 engine, I weigh more than you, and it snaps me out of the water as fast as I want. Everyone who skis behind it loves the wake, the pull, and ride. I’ve pulled big guys at 34, kids at 24, and great skiers at 36. I’ve even had a chance to pull someone skiing tricks. Tracks great, super-comfortable... I love it. I have the digital screen. So far so good.

• Baller

I'm lucky enough to be able to A/B test my boat (5.3L200) vs. the old 6L and the new 6.2LDI regularly, same lake, same driving pattern, same water, etc. as we usually get the club (Malibu) boat with the bigger engine every year (6.0 the last couple years, now the 6.2DI last year). I've never been disappointed with my 5.3 in any of those comparisons and we have a SHORT setup, <1800ft. I'm skiing into 35 off at 34mph FWIW.

I believe when the 5.3 came out, which also corresponded with Single-Puck ZO in 2016, folks were not happy with the ZO programming for the new GenV DI small blocks. AFAIK that's long been corrected but could have left a bad taste out there to this day. PCM/Nautique were way ahead here by introducing these marinized DI motors in the 2016 model year.

At the end of the day the 5.3DI (Gen V GM L83) and the 6.2DI (Gen V GM L86) are the same generation GM small block with the same design features, designed at the same time, just different displacement. It doesn't make any sense that they would have any substantial difference in feel at least at my level. The 5.3 is a lot of power, The 6.2 is bonkers power.

The old 6.0 feels like less power than both of the new GenV offerings. I have no recent experience with the old 5.7. Both of those old blocks should weigh more than the GenV aluminum block and heads which is another thing to think about as well.

• Baller
I would be more concerned about boat condition than the engine type. I agree that the newer 6.0 is a "better engine" a bit smoother, etc. I am wary of the long term cost to maintain the DI issues as the have some challenges in the automotive world. With the being said unless you are at altitude or a very short setup, they all ski perfectly well. I have skied them all for 22-41 and cant tell a lick of difference.

• Baller
@andjules public lake, but we really just use it for skiing in the early morning hours. It’s on the lift the rest of the day after the crazies take over... ?. Usually just 2 of us in the boat. Sometimes 3. I don’t think our use is very demanding, but having said that I don’t want to feel limited from future opportunities (Other lakes or altitudes) because of a weak motor.

• Baller

In my opinion, calling the H5 a “weak motor” is a laughable discussion. 355 HP, 405 ft-lb of torque. It is a scream.

In Florida you should have plenty of great options in your price range. More important than the motor - get a boat with a heater and heated seats. I LOVE mine (live north of Seattle), and you’ll be glad you have them up in Maine!

• Baller
@KRoundy “weak motor” comment was referring to previous input about the 5.7, not H5. Based on feedback from you and others the H5 is definitely on the list, but not sure If I’ll easily find a good one in my price range since started in 2016. Reliability was my biggest concern and haven’t heard any no votes based on reliability of any of these engines. Thanks everyone for your help!

• Baller
@Clydesdale , I've never owned anything but Nautiques, all the way back to the 80's. I'm prejudiced; but that said, the Nautique 200 is still a TOP ski boat. No question: this is the best boat all around. As for engine size, you should rule out the 6.2 although it's a great choice but "way over-kill" for you. I've ski'd and pulled many skiers with the 5.7, 5.3, & 6.0. Whatever Nautique you find where other factors fit the bill for you, buy it. I recently found a 2010 Nautique 200 for a friend and it has analog gauges. They look good and work fine; almost "throw-back" style. The prop on this 5.7 is the one that creates more rpm's (?) but it ski's great too and gives perfect times. Just update the Zero Off software to the latest and you're ready to roll.