1998-2000 Prostar

503Kento

• Baller

I’m shopping for a used Prostar and in my research, I’ve come across some negative comments on these particular model years (some even include the 2001). I’ve heard these model referred to as the Death Star, and “...worse boat in the last 30 years...”, and “To state that the redesign of the 1998 ProStar 190 has sparked a great deal of discussion amongst water ski enthusiasts would be an understatement.”

Are these model years really some that I should exclude from my searching?

Thanks,

Kent

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller
Yes. They had to add a bolt on solution to the hull. I believe it was beached at the boat test and this resulted in the fix along with a very funky winged rudder. There is way to many better year Master Crafts or other ski boats to bother with the 98-00.

• Baller

For what its worth, my dad has a 00 PS 190. Its not my 196 from a skiing and driving perspective and it wasn't the same wake as our 94 but its 20 years old and super reliable and skis pretty decent all things considered. For the right price and depending on your level, I wouldn't be opposed to buying one. Is it the worst MC hull since 91, most likely yes but if your comparing to a Bayliner...

With the back seat out, its fairly spacious inside for a closed bow boat.

• Baller
My primary slalom boat for the last 20 years was a 2000 PS190. My only personal complaint with it is the trick wake. I ski the same 34/15-28 off behind it as the 97 SN, although those skiing 15off and slower speeds definitely prefer the SN over the MC as the wake was softer. For driving I prefer the handling of the MC over the SN. I trick regularly behind a 2001 PS190 and the trick wake is much better. I believe the 2001 PS190 hull is similar to the 197.

• Baller

Probably not the best option out there. The hull was rushed to market and they added rails that sat in the rear chines and a winged rudder to try and make the boat better.

All of that said, some people really enjoyed the boat. https://teamtalk.mastercraft.com/showthread.php?t=58714

The 2001 is the "EVO hull" which is the same as the 190/197 which ran until 2013. I believe there were some minor changes to rudders and possibly some slight hull tweaks after the early years of that hull.

I have a 2001 PS190 that I’ve had for a very reliable 12 years. The wake is soft with very little bump at 22. Never had any complaints, but I’m upgrading this year to SN200. Sorry to see it go, if anyone would like to check it out, let me know.

• Baller
Zakdogs 190 is a beautiful boat. It is in very good condition and skis well. The boat is definitely one that could be purchased sight unseen as there are many ballers here at Ski West. And for a bottle of scotch you could probably get Horton to ride his bike over and check it out for you. ?