Finger tendons

Ski2000

• Baller

I had an accident at work and severed my tendons in my left index finger. I’m having surgery to repair it and I was wondering if anyone has experience on how long till they were able to ski again.

I have a ski trip to Florida February 1st for a week that I am going to do my best to make happen.

Super Nasty Pictures Below. Click Spoiler button to see them.

aw8if0tgmcta.jpeg

so0l6s3ttq3t.jpeg

• Members

Of all the fingers needed for gripping the handle, your palm-up index finger and your palm-down pinkie finger are the two that are most expendable. Since you ski LFF, assuming you use the "correct" grip, you probably want to preserve this finger as much as possible.

That said, if it gives you trouble during (or after) the final healing process you may have some luck switching your grip for a while. Don't despair though; there are some world-class skiers who have used "goofy-grip" their entire careers (Jeff Rogers comes to mind).

I’ve had a similar injury. First, the hands and feet are the most painful during rehab....Above other joint surgeries (I’ve had 5). This is a known reality with rehab for surgeries, burns etc. They put pins in my fingers during the surgery as well. It did seem to heal faster than a rotator cuff surgery but the hand will be swollen inside for 3 months minimum. You absolutely HAVE to rehab properly or your finger will lock or ‘boot’ and flexibility will be diminished for good. Not fun. I’d give it 6 months to be safe. Btw your grip strength is highest with middle and ring fingers in the hand.

• Baller
Just in case you are wondering about switching your grip, I had to switch my grip this summer and although quirky for a few sets it quickly became a non-issue. I'm still not able to return to my "normal" grip from the last 35 years, but even if I could I don't believe I would at this point.

• Baller

I’m a carpenter by trade. I was cutting a small block with a skill saw and I he saw caught the block and pulled my hand into the blade.

I always tell my guys to cut a small block off a larger one. Don’t tty and trim a tiny bit off a tiny block. I didn’t follow my own advice. After 20+ years in the trade I should know better. First traumatic skill saw injury for me though.

• Baller_
I had tendon release surgery on my left hand middle fingers a couple of years ago. “Trigger finger “ surgery they call it. It took a couple of months to be able to make a strong grip on anything because you learn to just keep those fingers straight as they heal. +1 on the rehab work ASAP.

• Baller
Many years ago I had the extensor tendons to my left hand index finger severed. I requested a fiberglass cast before the surgery to reattach the tendons. Then, I was able to cut back the cast some in my palm to be able to grip a ski handle with the other 3 fingers. The index finger was in a splint, straight out. I was skiing again the same week, mostly barefooting. Long time ago, but I believe it was 5 or 6 weeks before the cast came off and I could ski without it. Extensors are probably a little easier to deal with, for skiing anyway.

• Baller_
You can always use a Clincher style glove in February and then you don’t have to worry much about grip. In my view, Clinchers are a tool to be used only for the right job, but that hand of yours looks like the right job. Or the left job, as the case may be....

Lpskier

• Baller

I am definitely going to give the clincher gloves a go. I'll be honest I'm a little afraid of popping the flexor tendon, if I hit it to early.

The surgery seems to have been a success so far. I have feeling back and I can move the finger around in my cast.

• Baller

Severed mine in my late teens. Not too long after repair I thought it would be a good idea to waterski again. Tore it and left it... I'm 45 now and it's never bothered me since. That finger is the first to get cold, and I can't make a fist without that finger tip still poking out. But otherwise its unnoticeable!

• Baller

Thought I would update where I’m at. The surgery was successful, although I don’t have any feeling. I may get it back at a limited amount. Basically burn and freeze but no sensitivity.

Here’s a picture 1 week ago and now this morning

@Ski2000 Just to emphasize, when you start rehab expect it to be painful. The finger will lock with a bend in it otherwise, even if you half-ass the rehab it wil not heal with full flexibilty restored. My forst few rehabs I took the pain pills before rehab since it sucked so bad. Your injury is different hopefully. I had my pinky finger basecally ripped over sizeways all the way down the hand facing the elbow. Had pins, sutures, new tendon and other stuff I forget. Loss of feeling is normal for a severe finger injury