Signed Carbon Fiber Fin Just $49

bsmith

• Baller

For quite some time now, someone in Leander, Texas has been trying to sell on ebay a carbon fiber fin that appears to be signed by J. T. Horton. The seller only wants $49 for it. Seems like a good deal to me. Just wondering if @Horton can confirm that this fin is genuine and that the signature is in fact his. The ebay link is this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fiber-Water-Ski-Fin-/264959121697

Since that link will die in 6 days (although it has been relisted about 6 times now), I have provided a screen shot of the ebay listing as well.

dbqtwam9ivjy.png

• Administrators
that is a really early fin. Likely a 98. 98s are probably the best fin I ever made. I had to change material suppliers at one point and I never could get back to that exact layup. if you've ever wanted to try a CarbonFin and you don't mind the thickness being just under .1 that's the fin. 106 and 116 models were an attempt to recreate this fin.

• Baller
@ral I have watched that ebay listing for a number of weeks and could have won it several times before. Since @Horton left the fin business so many years ago, I figured that it likely wasn't considered as good as current production fins so I left it alone. Now that Horton has mentioned the special status of this fin, I am thinking again about it, but it would seem that Horton would want it back in his collection if he doesn't already still have an example from that early best generation of his fin.

• Administrators
@kurtis500 they were actually very popular for a few years. I sold about 1,000 of them before the sales dried up. The flex of the fins compensated for "some deficit" in the skis of that era. It was a time when skis were first becoming all carbon with CNC cut PVC cores. As the factories got a better handle on longitudinal and torsional flex the additional flex of the CarbonFins became unnecessary.

• Administrators
@david_ski That fin was my own shape. It should make a ski feel more stable to apex on both side and carve back a little more slowly but hold more angle through centerline. It will also make a ski slightly slower - you can just run a little less wing or less depth/length.

• Baller
@Horton More stable at the Apex is what I remember. I was using it on an HO-Monza at the time. The Monza (at least mine) had a really touchy sweet spot but it was really quick when you were on it just right. The Carbon Fin mellowed out the narrow sweet spot and helped me at the apex. I then went to D3-RCX and never used it since.

• Administrators

@kurtis500

the CarbonFins were not much softer than the standard aluminum fins. The impact was subtle. At the peak of the sport tiny tweaks can make a big difference. A lot has changed since then. Boats, ski design, technique....

• Administrators

@kurtis500

Compared to the aluminum fins that were standard at the time (2003+/-) my fins were a little softer. (0 / 90 layups - prepreg)

• Administrators

@kurtis500 by the end I had the plate made by composite shops and then sent to waterjet shop to cut perimeters then I sent to machine shop for holes then i hand sanded and finished each fin.

I would do it again if i thought there was a real market & business opportunity but i do not. As i said before it was a different era in the sport when CarbonFins was a compelling product.

• Baller

evy4w8pe9gu6.jpeg

@Horton still skiing so I decided to give it a try... fin is identical to the standard Goode fin, only thinner. So I put the same settings. Ski felt a bit easier to initiate pull out and edge change and a bit easier to slide the tail. Ski felt marginally better than with the standard fin. Buoy count was the same... fin will stay on my ski for now. I have a CG fin on the way but I don’t expect to have it before end of January.