Sneak peek - an entirely new ski

kurtis500

Quick facts:

-Not a slalom course ski although similar. Closer to a Maha 360 or Andy Clark cut-n-jump

-solid carbon with no foam core.

-Purpose is to demonstrate heated tooling under autoclave pressure (multiple atmospheres)

- 2x2 twill used for exterior layer only (decorative)

- concave bottom

I mentioned a few months ago on this site I would be doing a ski for demonstrating heated tooling in pressurized environements. Composites made with the highest strength and lowest void content are made under pressure. High pressure compaction of laminates eliminate the ability to use core materials during cure (high tonnage compression molding, autoclave cure with multiple atmospheres)

More to explain later but I wanted to follow through with my coments a few months ago. This demo is made off the tools under vacuum, but not in the pressurized environement. I'll post those later

ibeojlnoanbd.jpeg

jkvmkmmr2ilv.jpeg

0ks97sb2hzt1.jpeg

@bracemaker yes. foam was shot in the ends just in case but it floated without it. The boots float also so that helped a bit, and at 1540 grams before the nutplates it didnt need a lot of buoyancy. The fin is tig welded grade 5 Titanium (Ti 6Al-4V) so minimal weight added in the rear. The 2 peice structure will need to be opened up to allow water to drain out. Mouseholes or etc...