1968 Ski Nautique - Project thoughts

immikerowley

• Baller

Hi guys.

Want to get opinions from the Ballers.

I can pick up a 68 Ski Nautique for around $500.

It isn't in great condition and not completely original, but I still think could be a great and nostalgic project boat.

I would strip the tower, make a teak platform and then try get the rest of it as close to original as possible.

Question is... what do u guys think am I wasting my time or worth a shot?

u50ckfht8nrj.jpg

ihfz29blo9qz.jpg

8mzx25bnvagc.jpg

• Baller_

My dad restored his 1964 Glastron after getting it back from a man that bought it, passed away years later and left it to rot in the FL sun. At 78yrs of age he committed himself to restore it. A 2 yr project. He entered it in an antique boat show and got so much out of that experience. He’s 87 now and we still take it up the river and along a chain of lakes. I watch him well up with pride as onlookers at the ramps become questioners wanting to hear all about it. He was told by a fellow boat restorer that he will never recoup the time, effort or money he sunk into it. Totally worth all of that. Go for it.

ub4328exunz1.jpeg

5aii3k9nhn6b.jpeg

• Baller
Seriously- if you’re planning on taking this on yourself , do a reality check on what this will likely require. If you’ve never done things like flooring, fabricating stringers, and fiberglass work, - doesn’t mean you can’t do it, but be prepared for a long process. And that doesn’t even consider any of the mechanicals yet. Like any restoration, it’s easy to get excited and consider the possibilities, but a large percentage of good intentions end up incomplete. Costs will also likely be 2-3x your best estimate by the time actually finished. Another pretty consistent fact. If you’ve got the facility to leave this in place for a year or two while doing it and have all the tools and aptitude and the funds are expendable - by all means go for it. If you love that older vintage - all the better. You’ll have a great time. Will it ski great? No. But that’s not why you’re doing it. It’s a way cool old piece. If you do take it on start a thread and keep us posted on the restoration.

• Baller

Use it as is, after obviously ditching the tower, so that you can get a good idea of everything it's going to need. Then you can decide and you'd only be into it for the 5 bones. It would be a cool boat restored or not but a resto could quickly get out of control.

BOAT - a hole in the water into which we throw money!

• Baller

With youtube and research, one can tackle almost anything these days if one has the hutzpah.

I personally recall one can really sky on trick skis behind a '68. Slalom ski too, land past the whitewater. learns stack fast that way.

If the hull truly suits your taste, i say go for it. If its a just a distraction from the one you really want, consider passing so you're ready to move fast on it when it shows up, as you have boats.

• Baller

Worth it in parts alone for $500. If it's not completely rotten with soaked foam you may be able to enjoy it for a few years.

I'm working on a 69 SN this winter as well. Stringers, floor & interior were done by a PO a few years back. She's going to be a family boat so were working to make her appear more original with some functional upgrades.

wg0lzrklszmx.jpg

nntn4qgbvitw.jpg

• Baller
Want to echo what Kevin said. Absolutely get over to CorrectCraftFan. There is a tremendous knowledge base over there and a ton of people with experience on such things. Avoid the facebook sites. Although those guys know an awful lot, pretty much all of it is wrong.

• Baller
+1 for CorrectCraftFan.com for good info. Also https://www.community.boatbuildercentral.com/forum/ucp.php?mode=login&redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fgallery.bateau2.com%2F is a great resource for crafting stringers and flooring projects and expert info on glass work and fabrication. Was a huge help to me on my first endeavor. Learned a lot. Keep us posted.