Attention International Event and World Ranking Skiers

Horton

• Administrators

( from email sent out this morning )

Attention Skiers:

First and foremost, Happy New Year to you,

This email today is to notify skiers of a few updates/changes to skiing L/R events in 2021 as well as competing in competitions outside the United States. If neither of these pertains to you, feel free to ignore this email.

1) Starting in 2021, if you ski in an L/R event in the United States or abroad, you will need to have an IWWF license in order for your score to show on world rankings. If you ski in an L/R event but do not care about your score showing on the world rankings, you do not need the license. The license is $7 per event or $25 for a yearly license. You can purchase a license at https://ems.iwwf.sport/Orders/New.

2) If you plan to ski in an event outside the United States that is not a Worlds or Pan American event, such as Moomba, San Gervasio, or even a general tournament outside the U.S., you will need to become a registered user of the new IWWF EMS (event management system). Once a user, you will then need to register yourself into that event on the IWWF EMS. In order to become a user you will need to email Robert Howerton with your name, email, year of birth, and USA membership number. He will then register you and send you a link to accept an invitation to become a user.

3) If you are skiing Worlds or a Pan American (team or independent) event outside the U.S., you do not need to do anything except 1) above if you want to be on the world rankings.

If you have any questions, please reach out to Robert Howerton or visit https://ems.iwwf.sport/Legal/Resources.

Much thanks,

Jeff Surdej, AWSA President

Robert Howerton, AWSA EMS Manager

• Baller_

@Horton In my experience the only events that are “R” are open men and open women. I have never seen an age group or masters division run as an R. If you are eligible to ski Open I’m pretty sure you want your score on the World list.

Realistically, the only reason to even offer R is in anticipation of a World record. I see lots of open divisions run as L unless Nate, Freddie or Will, or Regina, Whitney and Manon (and a few others) are at the tournament.

It’s a pain in the ass to run an R because of camera requirements and you need an extra judge (varies with tower configuration). No LOC runs R unless they have to or has some other good reason, like trying to attract those skiers that can set World records.

Lpskier

• Baller_

Ah but not so fast!!!

Hypothetical question? Provide my capabilities as a skier are of world record achievement and I enter a record tournament, break said world record in my event and have not paid the playground extortion fee. Do I still get the world record?

Asking for a friend!!

• Baller_
@Jody_Seal You know as well as anyone and better than most that you can’t set a World record in anything but an R. If you break a world record (or if I do) I’m calling BS on the boat path, rope length and course width! And I want to measure your handle. ;-)

Lpskier

• Baller

Another nail in the water ski coffin?

Just a thought. USAWS tell IWWF

that each foreign skier who wants to train or ski in the usa must pay $10/tournament/insured practice to USAWS until this is lifted or they are not insured and cannot ski. Just a thought, probably a bad idea.

• Baller
@jcamp Yeah I get that. I was just suggesting from a leveraging position. Nothing against the international skiers. I don’t want them to actually do it. They can just say if you do this we will do that.

• Baller

@Dirt, I do not get the suggestion.

So, for me, besides paying my Federation yearly membership, the USD 85 AWSA membership to be able to ski/compete in the USA, and the USD 25 IWWF license, I should pay USD 10 for training in the USA???

• Baller

When the IWWF went to this new model it allowed them to reduce the amount they charge hosts to have the different Worlds. This will allow those events to be held at much better sites. The skiers on the world list are usually trying to obtain the ranking needed to ski in their respective worlds. The skiers will be helping to fund their events. Y’all are complaining over $25 not $250 not $2,500! Don’t go to Starbucks for 2 days.

We have taken the L list for granted and have gotten by for decades not paying to be on the list. We have E in the US and can ski in that class which is easier to run than L but is still held to a higher standard than C.

Pay to play or shut up and ski.

• Baller
Yes, it’s only $25 a YEAR or $7 PER EVENT! We’ve already benefited by the change to Worlds site selection. This year we’ll get to see the best in the world compete at an amazing ski site for Elite Worlds, instead of some dangerous open bay.

• Baller

@lpskier , on top of my local Florida club membership????

Being serious, 25 per year for IWWF Ranking or 10 to the Florida Federation will not move the needle a lot. Just ski gear depreciation per set would be more for me...