SN 206 vs MC X7

Spuddy

• Baller

Just looking to get anyone's two cents on this. Currently have a 1997 Nautique 196 (1000 hrs) I am looking at a 2008 Nautique 206 and a 2004 Mastercraft X7 both are in the same price range and have the same hours - 550 (Have kids and really want the open bow, so not looking at another 196) The MC has Z-Box and overall has all that I need, looks in great shape, bimini top (wife says its a must have) and SN has the old Nautique Cruise Control, interior is very good, is very faded in the main hull colour and is in need of a professional buffing, no bimini top.

I guess the question is would you guys go for the boat that is newer but needs more $$$ put into it to make it what I want or go for the few years older MC that is turn key?

• Baller
A 2008 can most likely be upgraded to Zero off for about the same cost as Perfectpass, that would give the 206 a big advantage and better resell long term. Both are well made boats. I owned a 197 and would say that the front bow is tiny and easy to take water on.

• Baller
@jpattigr i agree can be outfitted with zero off but again an additional cost and I’m working within a pretty thin budget to begin with. The low slung bow of the MC has always been a question for me as well.

• Baller

@Spuddy FYI, that 197 open bow will only fit kids and not sure I trust kids in such a shallow small bow and they will get wet and not on purpose!

As for Zero off that can be a long term project but most likely a 2008 engine will already to ready for it. Buy the boat and save some cash for a year or 2 and then add it.

I was in a similar situation last year, went with a 2007 206. 3 little kids, friends with little kids and the need for a boat to both run the course, pull tubes, and everything in between.

Considered a 197, but on public water, low bow made the slightly higher 206 seem like the better option. That said, the 206 is still pretty easy to dunk. Can't comment on wake because I have not skied a 197, but I'm pleased with the 206. Careful with weight, and how it is distributed though. I'm also used to skiing private lake water behind a new prostar...the 206 is not that...at all....but it's serviceable. The 206 is an absolute tank. Super build quality.

I'm told the shorter the line the better, but I barely get past 28 off on a good day. 22, like most boats, is the worst length... definitely a bump. But, in my experience, on primarily public water, my own wake is the absolute least of my concerns.

I upgraded to Zero Off for about $2k all in (mine happened to be essentially plug and play) and it was well worth it...if for no other reason that it is so simple for less experienced drivers to give a half decent pull.

And finally, while philosophically and aesthetically opposed to towers on slalom boats in general, they do a great job of getting the line up and out of the boat with little ones on board.

• Baller
Yeah if I had the choice I’d go with the 206, I saw the 206 in person today and it just left me with “there might be some hidden problems here” kinda feeling it didn’t help that the marina it’s at sells almost exclusively fishing boats so he had no idea what the boat is, he’s got the price right of course! Haha