Hole pattern dilemma

Dysco

• Baller

I bought some new radar bindings (flex frame) for my D3 last summer and liked them very much. My '13 Strada's Strada bindings (aluminum frame) were also in need of updating. I recently found a killer deal on closeout Vectors ($50 each!) and bought them. My issue is the rear holes don't match up at all and are actually completely covered. If I rotate to expose one hole, the plate is passed the edge of the ski. I know I can drill, but if I adjust the front at all to adjust to the new bindings, then it's even more drilling. Not sure what to do here. Thoughts? 1qtvcbh4ymzp.jpg

t7q72bcbdw3p.jpg

psw0d1n2ccib.jpg

• Baller

Radar changed their 4 rear insert pattern about 5 years ago to handle the feather frames.

They state FF only fit Radar skis from a certain year forward. I have put them on new Goodes without issue but have had to enlarge a 1-2 of rear holes to make my wife's fit her skis. Super easy to do, the radar screws have large heads that provide a secure hold.

• Baller
@RAWSki Seems like an odd situation as FF fit on my D3. But, as mentioned above, clearance bindings - so drilling a few sets of holes hopefully isn't a strength issue, it does appear that I'll have to drill directly through the "seam" on the back of the plate where it goes from thicker material to thinner.

• Baller

@Dysco below is a note you will find on line from a lot of ski shops. (This one was WakeHouse) We have also learned that the small rear FF don't fit on many other brands because the plate is too short and won't reach the back holes. (Radar includes two extra) On the bright side I have gotten pretty good at installing extra inserts.

***Radar Feather Frame FRONT Bindings are built to mount to most manufacturers skis. REAR Feather Frame Bindings will only mount to 2011 and newer Radar Skis.***

• Baller

Well, some good info. Prior to breaking out the drill bits this morning after reading a few more replies, I decided to contact Radar.

It was said drilling new holes and inserts is preferred to drilling the plate (in the locations I would have needed to). The ski strength should not be affected.

So that's the plan moving forward.

• Baller
@Dysco - I am a bit surprised they said the ski strength would not be affected. Any time I had a ski break or saw a broken ski, the crack always propagated through the inserts. Not sure how close new inserts will be from the existing ones but I would want to drill through the plate instead of the ski. (Less expensive to replace).

• Baller
@bouyboy1 I thought similarly. I triple checked in my conversation. They had photos and measurements of the holes and said drilling through the plate would be more of a strength/failure risk. Certainly interesting, but they probably have some experience with this one.

• Baller

@Hallpass I've put 2 to 4 new inserts in every ski I've had for years. Put 10 in a goode. Every backcountry ski I set up gets drilled and quiverkillered.

My old nomad with 4 extra inserts skied that ski 6 seasons no failures.

h05e2v8rojh0.jpg

942c6rlpuzei.jpg

I think what is interesting is Radar saying to drill not send it to them.

• Baller
I’ve seen it multiple times, the feather frame not fitting on Radar skis. Odd design. My ski partner blows through Radar ARTP’s pretty quick. He loves them, but I’ve never seen someone who takes care of his equipment wear things out as fast as him. And to be clear, I’ve seen him burn through most of the big brands, not just Radar. He drills holes in the ARTP plate and has never had one fail. I’m with the other guys, I wouldn’t drill my ski. If it’s that much of a concern, send the Feather Frame back and get the Aluminum frame. It will definitely fit.

• Baller

I thought I would ask here rather than start a new Thread.

I'm looking @ buying a 2017 Radar Lyric Rear binding to put on the front of a 2017 Radar Lyric. Are the holes the same Width? I understand the plate is longer on the rear binding and it doesn't have the extra set of holes (will look to drill them).

Would this work?

Its to replace a friends binding as my wife had to be cut out of it (Broken leg).

Cheers

Robbo

• Baller

@Robbo5252 it won’t work, rear plates are longer and narrower. If it’s on an aluminum plate and you have access to a front Radar plate, it is only a swap using just a screwdriver. (Thread locker would be good to use). Or any aluminum front plate would do if you have the skills to drill it right for this boot.

If the Lyric is a featherframe… you can not put it in the front. Can be screwed on a front plate using screws and nuts (prong nuts or similar, better) and cut off the excess plastic but it won’t be pretty. And I wouldn’t suggest doing it, unless you already have the boot seating around and you don’t want to buy a new one and you know what you’re doing.

The one time I did this, I put a fifth screw through the footbed with a prong nut type nut and some liquid rubber on top of it. To be more securely fitted and avoid any play.