What's your favorite boot on an MOB front plate?

OscawanaSkier

What boot are you using on MOB (or older OB4), and why do you like it?

Looking to replace my 7+ year old Roxa hardshell that I got with my original OB4 plate. Been reading a lot of posts, and also emailing with Mike about options. I've had no major accidents (read - broken bones) since moving to OB4/MOB after a really bad broken ankle on non-release boots. Needless to say, safety is high on my priority list. I'm LFF with a RTP.

Thanks for the comments so far. Anyone have experience with HO Syndicate’s 2021 Hardshell on the MOB?

I’m also considering the Radar Carbitex, but I’m a little leery of leaving the hard-shell world. I remember how much more “connection” I had with the ski when I first went to hard shells. Not sure I want to give that up.

@BraceMaker - yeah, I’ve got an OB4 front plate, but an MOB sole plate. I switched over when I moved to a RTP from a double boot (and @mmosley899 was kind enough to send me a spare front plate he had around).

• Baller

I am coming off ankle surgery and had purchased a 21 HO Hardshell at nationals for my tricker. Since my injury I put it on my slalom and after a few sets I have been very happy with the performance and comfort. The most comfortable binding I have ever been in.

• Baller
@OscawanaSkier since you have the chance to choose any shell you want, I would go for the one that is as flat bottom as possible, light weight, possibly not very thick bottom and has a soft cuff. And if it has these attributes without modifying... even better.

• Baller
@OscawanaSkier yes Goode PowerShell is what I had in mind... but I wouldn’t rule out the radar vapor shell either. Performance wise, vapor shell is made specifically for slalom, if it wasn’t for the way it releases, I would have tried it for sure. On a mob system it becomes a mechanically released system. You would need to change the bungee cords with non stretching ones or buckles. You can’t have both ways of releasing... could be dangerous.

• Baller

@OscawanaSkier if you want a boot that sits flat, use the Radar Carbitex or the Pulse. Both are great boots and you will still feel the hardshell connection. They are the only boots specifically designed for slalom skiing and have the desired features @skialex mentioned. You must eliminate the bungee laces so that the Mob release is the only way to release.

I did get to see @Gloersen ’s Goode boot and like the new features, the one I have is an older version. But also a great choice.

While the HO boot is loved by a lot of skiers, it does not sit flat at all, and requires the use of the cradle that HO provides. The boot itself has a very large rocker built into it. But I have mounted a few for skiers using the cradle on a specifically designed MOB boot plate.

The Roxa boot you have is the forerunner to the Reflex Supershell. That boot is still a great choice and you can flatten the bottom somewhat if desired. It is still one of my favorites and I still use the original one I have. Check for closeouts on the older Supershell boots, the shell itself is still the same.

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller