Shift Override Button on 2017 200 Ski Nautique

BS74

• Baller

The neutral button does not work, anyone have this problem. When the button is pushed in and held it will not release the throttle., it stays in gear. If so, is it a mechanical or electrical issue.

Can I fix it or does it need to go to the dealer? Thanks

• Baller
Quick question, you said "stays in gear" . Are you pressing the button after it is already in gear? It will not take it out of gear, should only give you the ability to keep it in neutral while you rev up the engine with the throttle handle, starting in the Neutral position. The only time I ever use it is to rev up the engine a little with Diacom plugged in while sitting at the dock. I can't think of any other use for it.

• Baller

skiinxs: when you push in the neutral button you should be able to rev up the engine and it should not go in gear. When I push and hold in the button and move the shift lever it goes into gear( forward or back) depending which way you move the shift lever. Talked to correct craft and it's a very expensive fix! Not sure I really need it!

• Baller

I use the neutral button to rev up the engine while warming it up in the driveway off a fake-a-lake setup as part of Spring launch prep and Fall winterization.

Can’t rev it too long though as it pulls the water from the bucket faster than the hose can fill it.

• Baller
We have the same problem on our club boat 2016. I know several other boats in Sweden with same problem. Don’t think anyone have fixed it. So seems like a common problem. And as you wrote the switch is very expensive.

• Baller

This is a common problem. It is nearly always one of the microswitches in the switchgear unit behind the throttle arm and not the external push switch. More commonly, the symptom of one of the switches failing is the gearbox refusing to go into forward or reverse, depending on which switch has failed. Livorsi, who manufacture these for most of the boat manufacturers say the parts are "military grade". I fear therefore for the military :wink:

I did successfully take one apart from our Nautique last year. However, the microswitches are all embedded in epoxy (presumably to give protection against the elements) which is NOT easy to remove without considerable time and care and a micro grinder. It is possible though and I was able to source direct replacements for the 4 microswitches for about $40. Once all assembled, it worked fine again.

Given the cost of new replacements, I think a business opportunity is presenting itself :smiley: