RTP rubber ripped around screw holes?

Slalom.Steve

• Baller_

I just moved my RTP strap back one hole, and on one side, it seems two of the holes that go through the rubber underneath the overlay have ripped open. When I unscrewed, several pieces of rubber fell off. And now one side is definitely different than the other. I have no idea if it rescrewed it "correctly," and I didn't think to look before hand if it was "unbalanced" at all before moving it (the fact that the top of the strap is slanted is cause it's adjusted to my foot, but I mean the amount of rubber being held down on the sides). All the screws are super tight.

Is this okay to just let it be? Can you get just a replacement rubber piece?

Here's some pictures:

7hz9lgs7oqud.jpg

eh59l69gm1a5.jpg

q8vpsjasc316.jpg

much more rubber held under

cubtwvxopu74.jpg

much less rubber held under, and the piece my thumb is touching, I can move it back and forth a bit (since it's not connected along the outside of the screw).

• Baller_
Can I get some more life out of this or is it now a safety risk to not replace the rubber? If I'm replacing the rubber, I'd also consider just buying a new different RTP. Not that I'm unhappy with this one, just that it's the only one I've ever had, and I know there's some good love out there for HO, Wiley, and Radar as well.

• Baller_
@lpskier just got to get your grip strength up! Just kidding, I still use the long screw method 99% of the time when changing rubber on Rear toes, Ive pretty much retired from doing boots tho, to many finger cramps and almost putting a screw into my thumb. My rear toe on my ski has the front two screws about 2 inches longer than the rear on each side.

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller_

@Gloersen, I grabbed some nylon insert lock nuts.. but they don't fit in the plastic "rail" slots, the diameter is just slightly bigger than the cap nuts that came with it.

Have you had any trouble with that? I might be able to hammer the lock nuts down in there, but don't know if they'd ever come back out lol.

zpu3g547x19r.jpg

• Baller_

alright, got them installed! Final question: should the screws/rubber be tightened down as hard as they go?... cause I realized one of them is so tight I can't unscrew it without stripping the screw head... I suck at this DIY stuff.

Thanks for all your help everyone!