Remembering Eddie Roberts

Horton

• Administrators

Eddie Roberts played a huge role in the development of Radar Skis, we interviewed him about his history in the sport a few years back and recently came across the footage. We love Eddie.

• Baller

Eddie was such an important part of water ski history. I Always loved chatting with him. I remember one such time fondly...........

Me: Eddie, this RS1 just broke on the first set.

Eddie: How hard did you hit it with the handle?

hahahahaha He nailed it. But still sold me a replacement ski at half price.

• Baller_

In the overall industry Eddie was a giant. At masters, nationals and other events Eddie made himself available to skiers and the sport in general. The mold was broken for sure when he passed away.

God bless his spirit.

There is a part of Eddie in every Radar ski. I know I

Benefitted from his passion and expertise.

Thank you sir!

• Baller_

I remember a few years back Eddie was answering a questions on BOS about a ski and a new guy quite genuinely asked "so who is this Eddie Roberts guy?" I got a really good chuckle out of that as I thought about how to respond. I never did post it since it would have embarrassed him too much, but if I did:

"So who is this Eddie Roberts guy?":

-If you count on 1 hand the guys who know the most about slalom ski design and build, he's on that list

-He has been Herb O'Brien's right hand man for many years

-he's had a significant hand in the development of a very long list of very successful skis

-One of the best customer service reps ever

-Just about the nicest guy anyone will ever come across

He was one of a kind and we lost a giant.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

I did not know Eddie until Nov-2011, when I know my neck after a bad OTF.

Out of the blue, he wrote the message below, which I believe reflects the kind of person he was. He did not know me, but took the time to write a long, detailed and warm message, with the right info and the right words for that moment.

It was a cornerstone for my coping process, rehab and recovery.

eddie roberts jr. sent you a message.

Hi "ral" Eddie Roberts here. I too had a nasty OTF in 1993 that knocked me unconscious then unable to pull my face out of the water due to not being able to move my arms or legs. I also had no feeling below my chest for about 15 or 20 minutes. When feeling came back I had pain, delicious pain, running down both arms. I stupidly went to a chiropractor that gave me a small adjustment which helped not at all. Went to a neurologist the next day who immediately sent for an aid car and they took me to the hospital for an x ray and MRI which showed the disc between c5 and c6 had herniated into a bunch of little pieces. I had to have an anterior laminectomy inserting a chunk of my hip bone after removal of the disc and after much physical therapy started skiing gain, against my doctors orders, and had my best practice, regional and national scores ever. I wore a Banana George neck brace for the first couple of years and no longer use it. My neck now is a little stiffer but not too bad.

You're a younger man and should do just fine - good luck!

• Baller_
those video clips are a perfect capture of the warmth and friendliness that was Eddie. I still like to call his number to hear his voice. His friendship for the past 20 years was terrific. I'm a better skier, and person due to his influence. RIP Eddie, and thank you. well done @Horton

• Administrators
Need to thank @brooks for finding this footage and publishing it. Eddie had a profound impact on so many of us. I personally considered him to be a dear friend and I think so many of you probably feel exactly the same way. He was a great friend to this community.

• Baller
A true ambassador of the sport. Gave me a call back couple times after I left voice mails with the main office. Once for help with supporting a ski club initiative and once to talk about a new ski for me.

• Baller
This video is awesome! I loved Eddie! What a true gentleman who was a giant in our waterski community! He will always have a special place in my heart. I was lucky to have him as a friend! He inspired us all with his positive attitude and waterski memories! His examples of over the top customer service was legendary. He touched so many skiers and leaves behind a wonderful legacy!