94 Prostar steering too tight?

swc5150

• Baller
On my "new" boat, the steering cable was shot, so I replaced it and I greased all stern fittings. The steering wheel now is easy to turn, but shouldn't it be able to spin freely if I give it a good twist? I haven't had a new cable on an old rotary system in so long that I don't recall how loose the wheel should feel? Is there a fitting on the helm to grease that I may have missed? The wheel spun pretty easily when the cable was out too, but I feel like I remember them being extremely loose at that point?

• Baller
Nope. They don't spin with a flick. My 92 Hydrodyne steering, daughters 90 190 and other ski buddies 93 190 are both super smooth but the wheels don't spin. That would be too loose. They feel like power steering on a car.

• Baller

Will feel way different underway than on the trailer.

If you want to make these feel really smooth the trick is to replace or fix the bushings in the tilt helm. The wheel bolts to a step with a spring washer that tensions the plastic bushings - lots of drag there. If you want it smoother you basically need to remove the bushings and machine the aluminum housing to insert an angular bearing.

• Baller
Messing with this in the garage, I've owned enough of these to know the steering is still too stiff. I think it might be the bushings in the helm, but can't get the steering wheel off. Isn't just hub nut and pull? Is there another set screw somewhere holding it on or am I just not pulling hard enough?

• Baller
Rudder is smooth without the cable. Plus the cable feels the same as it did before I hooked it up to the tiller. I’m probably just used to my ‘15 and this one is just a typical rotary? I could replace the entire helm and smooth it out too, but I’ll try it out in water and see how it drives.

• Baller_
@swc5150 - you can pop the backing plate off the rotary and clean / grease the innards. It is lots of fun since your on your back all contorted to actually do it and hold a hand on the spring/cable so it doesn't fall out of the plastic housing.

• Baller
@DW or, you just take the stubby cable cover tube off, turn the wheel full lock so the end of the cable sticks out and pack the cable and tube with grease. Put the cover back on and work the steering full lock to lock a few times to work the grease into the helm box.