Skiing the upper Willamette—small river questions

OREGON85

• Baller
This may not be a question that anyone on here could answer, but it is worth a try. Does anyone know if the Willamette River near Salem is ski-able? The boat ramp in West Salem and the one at Keizer Rapids are both relatively close. I just moved to the area and the proximity of the river is appealing, but I’m also really not interested in discovering a gravel bar at 31 MPH.

I went to Willamette in beautiful downtown Salem. My senior year I was fortunate to have an '89 Prostar. We had a group called "Dudes who shred" and we would ski almost daily. Best times!

Don't know if there have been changes in 30 years, but there is a boat launch about a mile west of the capitol. We had good luck heading north on the river to the split. South was okay as well. Be careful during high water as there can be lots of flotsam.

Good luck!

• Baller

@mfjaegersr I had seen the Salem yacht club, but you have to be a member to use their ramp. That looks like a nice pool of the river they have there.

@Mike Gile that sounds great! With work and kids I’d be luck to get in a week night every once and a while. Usually we do full day outings to a lake with the kids, but I’m hoping to get more quick ski-only trips in.

Water skiing is only banned in downtown Portland. I like wake surfing, but they can ban it on the whole river as far as I am concerned. There just isn’t enough space.

Thank you for all the tips.

35 years ago we skied the dirty river In college and for about 8 years after.....Be sure to shower well when done, used to make jokes about our kids will have 3 eyes, so far they are "somewhat normal". Wife used a RTP and would beach start so she wouldn't have to get in.

BUT it was always glass anytime of day, made skiing weekdays, and after work super simple.

The river does change year to year, new snags, old ones wash away, some gravel bars get bigger, some smaller. I had a friend who's dad had a small outboard jet sled, with a depth finder. I would always get him to take me on a "scouting mission" in early June. Just wanted to know our parameters of where it was safe to ski, turn around, and spots to avoid. 4 Feet deep in places and I could not see bottom. Only had an issue once, bent the prop, strut and shaft by hitting a submerged log idling back to pick up a skier.

Hope it works out for you and the family. Did I mention water was glass? We had a lot of great skiing.

• Baller
@OREGON85 Figured you might have discovered them; offered it in case you hadn’t and to encourage a visit even if membership isn’t In your immediate future. Maybe you’ll gain a bit of current local knowledge, maybe find someone to be your guide for a day...for a couple IPA...somebody just may. Good luck!