Malibu TXi 2015 ECU Communication Problems

dwfrech

• Baller
Hi Everyone: Just tried to start the 2021 season after our club Malibu (2015 TXi) was winterized and stored for ~6 months. The dashboard instruments (there are several) indicate communication problems from ECU. The screen in center says "No ECU Data > 25 seconds". There is no way to start the boat by the lower right panel where you have Start/Shutoff soft button, and you can not turn this panel off with the On/Off push button right next to it. The boat runs fine - if you start it by the key itself. The battery is charged to 12.5V. I do not know where the wiring harness leads (from the dash to the engine itself) or where are the critical connections to check. Also, ZeroOff GPS is not functioning. Anyway, if you have any suggestions that would be great. Our time to get it to the boat dealer for a diagnostic check etc. is a 1 month wait.

• Baller

I guess if it were me I would pull the dash and disconnect/reconnect the harness that is going to the screen, and the connection at the brain box (medallion?) under the dash. Also check the bus bar under the dash and make sure all the ground screws are tight. Since it sounds like it is just a canbus communication issue that is not impacting the ECU itself (since the boat runs).

In my 2012 I have an issue with my upper screen every once in a while that requires the connector be plugged and unplugged, although in that case it is just the RCA cable from the brain box.

• Baller
Clearly it's a CANBUS issue. Besides what's already been mentioned it can also be an excess load or short on the CANBUS. Or an issue with the CANBUS termination resistors. If you have access to Rhinda Diacom, that can help you determine the issue to a certain extent. Since the diag connector is on the engine harness along with the ECU, if DIACOM can communicate with the ECU then you know the CANBUS is segmented between the engine harness and the boat harness. If it can't, then the bus more than likely has an excess load, short, or a termination problem. A short or excess load can be caused by a failed device on the bus. So, you can also debug by disconnecting stuff from the bus.