Reflex Boot Change - White Cuff Discontinued

BlueSki

• Baller

Reflex appears to have discontinued the white cuff. They have also added a new carbon U brace to the black boot. Does anyone have insights into why the white cuff is gone, as well as any details on the now black only boot, with and without the U brace? I know that some said that they could not feel a difference between white and black, but I certainly saw a ton of white cuffs on the start dock.

https://reflexwaterskiusa.com/product/reflex-slalom-binding

• Baller

@BlueSki the way I see it is that in Europe where people were familiar with the black shell reflex long before the white cuff one came out, most tried it and went back to the black cuff one. Where I ski I don’t see anyone using the white cuff one.

The white cuff came out at the same time the system was becoming popular in the US and many started on that one and liked it and didn’t want to change.

Also the supershell that came out later is mostly favorite of the newer to reflex skiers. This is my observation, does not mean that is right in every case.

Also I believe that there is no right or wrong, you get used to a certain setup and it is difficult to want to change to anything else.

• Baller_

Fogman introduced the heel cup over 20 years ago. Glad to see Reflex is catching up!

The white reflex was their softest boot. Most of the complaints I hear about the more current boots, that is, the super shell. is that they are too stiff.

Lpskier

• Administrators
it's my understanding that the white cuff and the black cuff are roughly the same stiffness but the white cuff is a larger diameter giving you more ankle freedom.

• Baller

@Gloersen , you are correct. It was straight down from the hinge.

Personally, never felt the need of getting “more connected” or have a stiffer feeling than the black and then the white cuff boot.