Shortening Jump Skis

bojans

• Baller

I have been looking for a set of 76-78" jumpers for my son for a while with no luck. I am finding some older (2008-2010) 90" skis at a fair price. Is it possible to shorten a modern jump ski (D3 or Goodman)? If possible, is it a safe thing to do?

As a side note, if you happen to have some 76-80" jumpers that are not being used, please let me know.

• Baller

Very Safe to do, I shortened a pair of 91" to 84" and worked great. Just make sure you have a strong jigsaw blade and make a template of your tip to apply the same shape to the cut. Once cut use a metal file, and you can fill/mold with body filler or bondo. Once the bondo is dried then paint over.

Obviously finding a pair of 76-80 would be key but they are like gold dust now.

• Baller

I bought a set of D3s that were cut down from 92s to 86. I've been using them for 4 years at this point and have had no problems with them. Yes if you are to cut from the tip it will work fine as the rockers are actually the same and they add length via a longer tip.

Now cutting down to 76-80 I'm not sure if the rocker would be the same for say a set of nighmares of goodmans. If you order a set of nighmares on D3 I believe the shortest they have are 82 so I'd imagine that's when the ski design changes.