When you get a new ski how do you set it up?

Horton

• Baller

My last two skis were set up by the coach they were demo’d with. Austin Able set up my Razor2 and Andy set up my Dad’s Mapple 6.0 which I’ve skied since 2015. The Mapple settings have been tweaked modestly by Chet the last time I skied with him.

I don’t know enough about fins to do much myself so I would always want to start with “recommended” settings and then ski with a coach or pro to help fine tune.

• Baller
It is sort of an unfair question as the answer is certainly a blend, and it is ski company specific. Goode, for all their shortcomings, have always seemed to be the most accurate in their advertised stock setting, IMHO. The rest seemed to be quite a ways off. A lot of time the pro coaches or ski brand athletes will give you some "alternate" numbers.

• Baller

My last ski (D3 NRG) was the first one that I could ride starting at stock settings.

Every previous one, I've used the difference from stock from my old ski, and tried to apply those differences to the stock settings on the new ski, using some kind of magic alchemy bullcrap. Was usually an interesting experience.

Waiting on a c85, and hoping that stock gets me somewhere. :)

• Baller_

It depends on the ski:

D3 - set it to factory, go ski and probably never change it

Radar - set to factory, go ski. Swap to CG fin and maybe move bindings fwd

Goode - put on the white gloves to take it out of the box, keep it in the shade, mount bindings being careful not to scratch it. Check fin with 3 different capliers to ensure it’s within 0.0001 of factory recommendations.

Denali - take it to the shop where the grinder and hacksaw are handy. Modify as necessary. Adjust the fin with a tape measure. Go ski and keep a file in the boat for in between pass adjustments.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
yep i learn t the hard way did not check the settings on the last two skis i brought my ski was out about 5mm and my sons about 3mm out on the fin length the other settings where spot on .there on factory settings now and skiing a lot better both radar senates. Also learn t recently that radar ski s need a good wash to remove any oils or they ski poorly