Beginner Course Skier

Fresh36

• Baller

I'm looking for some advice this year as I continue my quest to run the course. I've always done some free skiing and have been a big barefooter. I joined a ski club last year and would like to learn the course.

I picked up an older Goode Nano ski last year and I'm running a Reflex boot with RTP. This year I'm thinking of taking a step back and trying to start slower. I did some free skiing last year and then hopped into the course at 30 -32mph. I was struggling to get 2 balls and would most often just stick to the mini course. With varied success in the mini course.

I'm looking for recommendations on a good ski to learn with and would like to slow down this year until I can get my form in a much better place. Any recommendations? I'm looking at the HO Omni or Radar Senate. I appreciate any feedback.

I'm also 5'8" and 165lbs.

• Baller

Hey @Fresh36 !

You are on the right track in terms of changes to make, both in terms of skiing and skis. Omni or Senate would be great options as they will allow you to go slower and be more stable than with a high end, narrower ski.

Also, given your body type, I wouldn't be afraid to slow down the boat to 28 or even 26mph.

Finally, there are a lot of drills you can do to help you improve various aspects of course skiing, such as swinging to 1-ball; turning 1-ball, shadowing 2,3,4,5, and turning 6-ball; turning 1-3-5 and shadowing 2-4-6 (and vice versa).

Have fun!

Ski coach at Jolly Ski, Organizer of the San Gervasio Pro Am (2023 Promo and others), Co-Organizer of the Jolly Clinics.

I had a lot of success on the Senate when I shifted from freeskiing to course skiing. Allowed me to slow down to 28mph and not feel like I was sinking, and was a solid ski as I worked up to 34mph. I have no experience with the Omni so I can't comment on it, but I don't think you'd be upset with a Senate!

• Baller

I appreciate the comments. Trying to see if I can find a deal on either one and might pick the one I can get the best price on.

The Goode Nano is a great ski but I compare it to throwing the keys to a Corvette to a 16 year old that is learning to drive.

• Baller_

Getting a different ski is more of a "nice to have". The biggest thing is to slow down to 26mph for the course. Ignore the gates for now and pull out as wide as you can for 1 ball and cut as close to the buoy as you can and go for 2.

Good luck!

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Agree with @Bruce_Butterfield get way wide of 1, and time your inbound moment toward the wake to make sure your direction of travel as you pass one ball is inbound. Don't wait to pass the ball and then turn in toward the wake you will already be late. Go from there--you will get it!

• Baller

I struggled with the same for a while. Was on a Vapor and felt awful going below 30 but knew I needed to slow down to 28 or 26 to start making it through the course. Got a Senate and was able to make some complete passes at 26, then 28, and my PB as of last week was two passes at 30, cheating the entrance gates. I went back to the Vapor for the last set of 4 for the day, so I was tired, but the Vapor felt good again and I'll likely lean towards that going forwards now that I have some rhythm.

I'll say two more things, though. Good coaching is important and I'm thankful to have two good skiers locally that have given me a lot of their time, and also, most of this is in my head. I didn't make the 26.7 pass until I THOUGHT I was at 28.6, but boat driver knew better and tricked me. I keep throwing money at equipment while the real issue is ME, but I do think slowing down on the Senate helped.

I got frustrated enough the last few weeks to book a last-minute trip to Swiss in Clermont and Clint and Patrice were awesome coaches and really improved my skiing in the day I was there.

With that said I have a 2021 Vapor Pro Build 67" In good shape sans some light scuffs I'll sell for $950 shipped :)

• Baller
Here's what I recommend for beginning course skiers: Take the above advice from @6balls and add this. Just shadow 2,3,4,5 and try to go around 6 and out the gate. continue this until you're getting comfortable, then add 5. Then add 4. Then 3 then 2. That way you're getting 6 pulls and turns instead of trying to get 2 or 3 and falling. I call that learning the course from the back end. The mini course just ingrains wrong angles, that is unless the skier is 5-6 years old.

• Baller
I agree that slowing down is definitely the way to go. If you are getting 2 balls at 32 mph, then you ought to be able to make it at 28 with a fairly small amount of practice just to get the timing right etc. BUT, then the problem is your current ski will likely feel like it is just sinking when you are going that slow, so you probably do need a little bigger ski in order to feel right when going slower.

• Baller
That was my situation last season. I went and got some coaching with @twhispser. He started me in the course at 27 mph and 15' off. He had me start at 1 ball. I was making the pass and eventually brought the gates into play. A few weeks later I made a full pass at 28 mph. I'm 6-2, 215 and skiing on a 69" Senate Lithium. I started this season at 30 mph and made my first full pass yesterday. I would recommend to get your fundamentals solid and then start chasing buoys. Get your handle position and lean angles established and the course will come to you. Don't get me wrong, while making a full pass is awesome and fun and exciting, making a full pass that feels easy and effortless is even better! I have lots of work to do in that department! Good luck, and welcome to the addiction =)