Reflex Supershell/Power G Flex/ HO Syndicate Hardshell???????

jeidmann

• Baller
So I got a new ski (Goode XTR CC) this spring and I'm looking to upgrade the binding(s) as well. I'm planning on going with a hardshell in front and an RTP in the rear. I'd very much like to hear from those of you who have skied on these bindings what you like (or don't like) and why. FWIW, I was skiing on a RADAR lithium with double Vapor boots and molded Intuition liners. Right now I'm leaning toward the G Flex as I've heard it has a more natural and forgiving flex. I've got a size 10 wide (D) foot so it tends to fall asleep and cramp up in a traditional rubber high wrap...a molded liner is MUCH more comfortable. Makes it hard to jam into an RTP in a short slalom course.

• Baller
Though I ski in Reflex, I recently tried a Goode (tried it on; didn’t ski in it) and found it super-comfortable- both in fit and flex. As Horton said, they need to fit your foot correctly, but you both are good systems.

• Baller

I about had to learn to ski again going from double soft boots to an Edge hardshell front and Radar HRT rear. Felt so foreign I almost ditched it, but I love it now. It’s let go of me cleanly and injury free on a couple OTF, which is why I wanted it. Didn’t compare to any other hardshell; but I like the overall setup (pick your brand).

It took me two pre-releases to get the tension tight enough but other than that...

• Administrators
@Deanoski static test always - yes. Settings should actually be lighter than expected. pre-releases are often the result of incorrect setup not release tension. Incorrect distance between the release and the toe hoop is in my experience the most often culprit.

• Baller

@jeidmann The SuperShell is definitely a wider fit that the standard Reflex boot and the Goode but is way stiffer. I had no success with the SuperShell as way to stiff for me, ran early passes but ugly. I have skied Goode PowerShells and Reflex White cuff a lot. The Goode shell is definitely the softest between them all. Have looked at but not skied the HO but it feels like its between the std Reflex and SuperShell. I don't think any of them are forgiving or unforgiving. They all will give a comfortable, consistent and more responsive ride when fit properly.

Goode specifically tells you to heat mold (and how to) their liners. They also haven't changed their shell for years, cause it works, so consistent reparable/replaceable performance. With the Reflex release now seems a great way to go.

• Baller

Thanks for everyone's input, figured I'd check back...I went with the Reflex Supershell 6.o and the intuition liner for several reasons... I have a D width foot and it appears to be the most accommodative, it's a softer flex than the classic, it appears to be waterski specific as opposed to the Edge/HO which looks like an adapted roller-skate boot, looks to be the highest quality build with the carbon toe piece, carbon U base, and carbon plate.

Now...I'll report back after I've skied a half dozen sets on it.

• Baller

@jeidmann The SuperShell is a great boot and a wide fit so a good fit for you. It's awesome we now have so many excellent hard shell options to choose from.

Couple points of clairification:

-All the boots are repurposed roller/ice skate shells.

-The SuperShell is the stiffest, noticeably stiffer than Reflex Classic (black cuff classic slightly stiffer than white).

-The Goode shell is noticeably softer than the others. The shell has also been unchanged for the longest time, years, great for consistency and repairs.

-The SuperShell is noticeably wider in fit than Reflex Classic and Goode (RC & G very similar in width).

-Everyone's feet seem to fall asleep and cramp up in a traditional rubber high wrap ...a molded liner is MUCH more comfortable. Particularly in hot or cold water. Warm water poured in a liner before a ride in cold water is soooo nice!

Enjoy your new boot(s)!

• Baller

@BRY Thanks for the feedback Bruce, one point of note, in communication with Reflex, they said this:

"The Supershell is a bit more flexible than the classic models."

It's funny though, I put an RTP on my ski the other day and skied it for the first time in 25 years (in anticipation of the Reflex SS that was in the mail)...when I made an offside turn I fell right over like a noob! Felt like I was skiing on one (front) leg. Now I've got to consider the R-style back boot. Made me think though, is there something I'm doing style-wise that is deficient, or am I just not getting enough support out of the RTP? Honestly, I felt like there was nothing but a pad back there, there was no support whatsoever.

• Baller
@Lafaver I have NOT had that problem...as a point of reference I've got the intuition aqua liner.Not sure but perhaps your calf size may be a factor regarding how much velcro is available. I don't really get a sense the strap does much anyway.