Any comments on the Radar Rear Hybrid boot ?

swbca

• Baller_

I've always used full front and rear boots. I thought it was a safety factor so the ski couldn't spin around with only 1 foot connected to the ski in an uncontrolled fall. After seeing that many of the top pros use a rear kick-in toe, I bought the Radar Rear boot mostly for the flexibility of doing starts from shallow water or just stepping off a dock when convenient.

One design or manufacturing problem with the product; the rubber insole had a high arch support equal on both sides of the foot. Whose foot has an arch on both sides ? Very uncomfortable and defeated any edge control with the rear foot. I used a long serrated bread knife to reach in from toe to cut away 3/8" arch support on the left side. It took a lot of trimming and feathering to get the contours to feel right.

The concept of this binding seems good to me. I like the feel of security you don't get from a plain kick-in (if coming from full boots.)

Why do you rarely see this binding in the wild. Anyone else tried it ?

ljxjzhmlkwa2.png

• Baller
I use one and love it. Previously skied with double boots. Tried a RTP, but it felt loose and sloppy, at least the one I tried. Borrowed an HRT from a friend who had a spare and wouldn't give it back until I got my own.

• Baller_
@epnault @Cnewbert Sounds like Radar didn't put a high arch support on both sides of the foot . . is that right ? Maybe mine was some kind of manufacturing defect, or a model change.

I've been using this binding for several years behind Reflex front. Its a great set-up for someone that wants more movement than a rear boot but not as free as a RTP. I also found the transition from full rear boot to be a non-issue--it felt fine after a few passes.

I've also been surprised its not more popular, but everyone seems to do their own thing on rear bindings. Tons of different set-ups.

• Baller

I have one behind an Edge hardshell, and I like it. I'd rather a Wileys rear boot or similar but I want to be sure that if my front foot comes out, my rear does too. So far it's worked 100%.. ugh.

It keeps the foot fairly planted and heel centered on the ski, but allows for some heel lift and mobility as well, which I'm still getting used to going from a double soft boot setup.

I haven't noticed the double arch but thanks, I'm sure I'll think about it at the most inopportune time next ski set.

• Baller

I use the HRT since 2016 or so when I switched from double Vectors to Reflex front.

Works great with little time to get used to it.

Not a big fan of the BOA though, so I sourced a few aluminum plate lace style HRT’s last year. These will last me a long time as they don’t seem to wear out as fast as the Radar full boots.

Only complaint I would have, is the lack of a footbed (universal boot, fits left & right foot as mentioned above) and the sizing. I’m actually in between a small and a “standard” but found the small to be too narrow thus somewhat uncomfortable so I stayed with the std size and have to pull the laces super close. Still release is not an issue.

And I start both feet in, couldn’t imagine kicking in that boot, but it’s said it’s possible. (Maybe if you like your rear binding really loose?)

• Baller
I've been using the BOA version for the past 2 seasons. Have it mounted up behind my Carbitex front. I really like the HRT. It's fits well, is comfortable, provides plenty of support and freedom of movement. Overall it's just a really good option.

• Baller
worse part of this boot is if you are on the small end of the size range....with heal against the back there is too much room in front of the toe, limiting how close you can get your feet together. I ended up cutting about an inch off the front of the footbed and moving it forward on the plate so I could get my toes to almost touch the front boot. Works good now, i actually went from an RTP just to try something new.

• Baller
I came from an old high wrap double boots (20 years ago) and when I started skiing again went with the Vector BOA Front and HRT Rear. I learned to ski on a single ski with both feet in; so never understood purpose of RTP until reading some recent fodder about freeing up the heel, also noticed many of the cool kids (pros) running RTP. I didn't want to commit to RTP but was sold on the logic, so the HRT seemed like a good compromise. Just 8 months back into skiing after a 20 year break, so I don't think my binding choice is my limiting factor; however, I think I will be going back to a full rear boot. I am a RFF Skier but Wakeboard, Surf and Skateboard LFF. I think I would better engage my left / rear foot and feel more natural getting into a better stack off my offside turn, hips fwd to handle if my rear foot felt more secure. Here is a recent video of an OTF in the Radar BOA with HRT Rear

• Baller
Mine is loose enough I could kick in no problem, but I've just always gotten up with both feet in. Some people may like it tight enough that it could be difficult to kick in. One nice thing with the full rear support is that it feels secure even fairly loose.

• Baller_
@SlalomSteve I kick in sometimes but usually start with both feet in. Its easy to set the laces tighter when you are starting with both feet in. Then when you feel like jumping of a dock the laces can be a little loser. "kick in" isn't really the motion in my experience because the height of the heal doesn't give you a clean shot for a single forward kick. I press forward and "work my foot in" with a few left-right heal movements. Not much different than when doing it on the dock or platform . . . so the laces can be pretty close to the same either way.

• Baller

My son moved to the double highwraps to a front reflext and rear HRT and liked it very much.

He has since moved to a rear kicker.

Both Matt Rini and Drew Ross suggested that if you can ski with a toe loop it's better.

They also said that not every finds it comfortable to do.

• Baller_

I decided to go back to a full boot this morning. Skiing in M9 I will be skiing at 30 or 32 mph. My 2004 ProStar has a bad wake at those speeds at all rope lengths except at 39off which is no help to me. I am finding that I am riding way back as I hit the wake to keep my rear foot from being ripped out of the HRT boot. I am Going back to a full rear boot that provides a secure connection to the ski. Don't like my heal being lifted off the ski in a wake-trough every time I cross the wake

If I was skiing at 34 or 36mph I would keep the HRT. Terry Winter has a video where he skis at 30mph from 22 off to 38 off. His ski is lifting at the wake at all rope lengths, and he was behind a late model boat. Not sure I would recommend the HRT binding to anyone in M6-M9. That's just my take on the low speed wake issue.