Yard sale

Horton

• Baller
@DangerBoy it was at the base of the ramp floating next to his skis. Scary to watch in person for sure. Glad he got around to his back in that flip or it could have been bad. Walked away without a scratch.

• Baller
I was working safety at this event and was in front of the jump when he came flying over. Really scary from that angle as it looked like he hit his head. He said he was lifting his ski to cut to the jump and caught a tip. (forgive me I'm not a jumper but thats what was explained to us). Looking at the video he's extremely lucky he slid over it on his back. Water ripped his helmet off before. Took our breath for a moment but he came up giving a thumbs up. Tough kid!

• Baller
@ghutch @MISkier is correct, I was working Lake 2 as safety when it happened, I did see it from a distance and it was very scary, our team of safetys did a fabulous job and he had on all approiate jump equipment, like @ghutch said, the water ripped his helmet off of him. So blessed that he walked away ok from this.

• Baller

Hanging a tip in the old days on 72" skis sometimes resulted in a ski being sucked off the foot or an OTF crash but usually laughter and humiliation, and it usually happened on the counter cut or in the glide. With 90" skis, it's a whole different level and technique-wise it seems a lot of jumpers like to lift their left ski coming into the ramp to ensure their weight is on the right one.

Gosh, that's a violent way to go down. Remember Regina at the 600' bouy at the Malibu Open last year?

• Baller
He lifts his left ski, it's tail is kicked by the wake, and he loses his control of it and his right ski gets behind him, left ski dips too much tip and he's over his skis. The somersault was a smart move. This happens more than people realize, especially with people lifting their skis and trying to crane the wakes. I can think of a number of other times this occurred at tournaments.