PSA on steering cables.

Dano

• Baller

Holy smokes I dodged a bullet today. Skied a couple of days ago with no issues. Took the boat home, parked it in the garage and then launched this morning. While pulling away from the dock the steering cable broke. Thankfully i was at idle and going no where. I can't imagine how bad this would have ended if it had happened at ski speeds. for the record this boat is a 1989 Centurion Falcon with a rotary helm. The steering has always been super easy and seemingly without issue. the lesson here. Steering cables should be replaced on a routine basis. This cable looks to be original, and way past due for replacement. In doing some research here I'm seeing it's recommended that cables be replaced every 500hrs or 10 years whichever comes first. If you own a boat that is exceeding these, I encourage you to order a new cable and get it swapped out. I'm really thankful this didn't end with an injury or a boat parked on shore.

• Baller
I ski on a private site with fairly tight turns on each end. My cable didn't last 500 hours, more like 350 and definitely less than 10 years. Steering got stiffer was the reason for change.

• Baller
My boat is closing on 2200 hours. I usually change a cable every 800 hours, but that is with the boat kept on a lift and I keep a dry bilge. If your boat is kept in the water, you could end up changing it every other year. If the steering starts to feel stiff then it is time to change it. If you wait too long to change the cable after the steering feels stiff you can damage the helm/steering head which is a very expensive repair.

• Baller
@Rednucleus I've owned the boat for the past 20 years. It was not tight to steer at all. Not even a little bit. I cut the cable apart to see what happened. It broke about 4 inches beofre the aft end. (before it attaches to the steel rod that runs through the support tube. Looks like it corroded through the cable.

• Baller
@chrislandy yup I know the feeling. I was in disbelief it was the cable because it has always operated smoothly. I consider myself to take exceptional care of my boat but I had overlooked regular changes of the cable. Which could have been very dangerous. I personally know a good number of boat owners that likely have never given their steering cable a second thought. They probably should.

• Baller
@Rednucleus not sure but with 1100 hrs on the 98 sportster I would guess yes. Changed mine last year with around 500 hrs on the sunsetter lxi because the steering became quite stiff made a world of difference ?

• Baller

@Horton Yup, and at least 15 years on the same impeller - that one was a bit more expensive when it failed! :'( still have that on the desk to remind me not to forget

wavqame26z52.jpg

To be fair with the steering cable, it was the original from factory cable and I've always greased it every year before putting away. It was smooth as, all the way up to snap

• Baller
I treat the steering cable (and the mount to stringer, which adds play when worn) as an consumable item. I replace every 3-4 years as soon as any play can be detected in the system. As that will likely effect the ability of the driver to give me a consistent pull. I also replace my impeller and both fuel filters every year. I prefer to perform preventative maintenance than have the boat crap out when want to ski.

• Baller

@chrislandy the lack of changing your steering cable with 2300 hrs got you close but not changing your impeller put you over the top. You are the first receipent of the new updated lake Curlew panda from the Wednesday night crew ????iqpywi1m0gtx.jpeg