Looking for an over sized wing.

• Baller_

@Steven_Haines

Interesting suggestion from Jay. What was Jays rational or explanation as to why a larger wing would support you better? What did he mean by support? What issues were you having?. I get it’s bigger but it also will add drag assuming similar wing angle as the reg sized one.

• Baller
@Steven_Haines I ran Jay's biplane setup on my 2016 Vapor and it made a world of difference. I ran both wings effectively parallel to the ski bottom. Also had the fin forward a bit and the bindings as far forward as they'd go. For a 250 lb guy skiing a Vapor at 34MPH it worked great. The additional tail support was much needed.

• Baller

The files can be found on Thingiverse as: Water Ski Wing by Riplash June 22, 2021. I included the STL file as well as the DXF file, and a Sketchup File if you want to change the dimensions or design. I will probably draw it in Fusion360 too sometime in the future.

I ran out of time to get pictures, but I will upload pictures as soon as I can. Let me know if everything looks okay, as this is first upload to Thingiverse.

-Ryan

• Baller
@Steven_Haines I went to the 2 wing setup because I was having difficulty with offside turns and excessive bevel engagement too early, leading to a porpoising type turn if I wasn't in precisely the correct spot. I ran single wing for 2 years before going to the double. I used standard wings. I noticed that this setup improved support and gave the ski a wider performance envelope (for me). There was a slight reduction in smear so I bumped fin forward a tad to get the turn radius where I wanted it. But the porpoising turns completely went away.

• Baller
@UWSkier, thanks for your response. What I’m finding is that with the whisper fin I can get the ski to turn well, but I’m finding that the ski isn’t carrying enough speed to stay in a good rhythm with the boat. I’m struggling to get wide and struggling to stay wide. Losing weight or getting a larger ski is the obvious answer but beer is soooooo good! Lol

• Baller_
Ok this actually works. 2 short sets, one on a standard wing and one on an oversized (off an old Goode). Went half a degree less. Basically it put the ski at a better pitch (flatter) in the turns engaging the forbody of the ski sooner and better with zero loss of speed...actually it carried more and equal angle that I liked. Less effort to ski overall. I’ve added a few Covid pounds and until that is gone, big wing it is. Kind of a brilliant way to not have to make a bunch of boot and fin moves to compensate for a few extra pounds.