82 Ski Nautique tuning help in Southern NH

AndyP

anyone in Southern NH that can help tune my PCM 351 with 4160 Holley. Can't find a good mechanic. I did a rebuild and now I am having issues tuning the carb. PV, needle and seat seem good but I am still flooding at low rpm... will not idle. would love to water tune if there is anyone local that would like to give me a hand...

• Baller

Is the power valve the original or one from a kit? Either way if it is the old one it could have failed or if it is a new one from a kit it could be the wrong value and remaining open.

Also float level could be out and the excess fuel is pouring into the primary or secondary venturies,

I would check out the drag racing scene in your area. Bound to be a few hot rod guys around who know holley carbs.

I have tried both. The original one worked perfect before the rebuild so after I tried the new one and had issues I put the old one back in. no luck. I have tried adjusting the floats several times. It is now getting to the point to where it seems as though there would be very little fuel in the bowl. I will try and see if I can find an old time hot rod guy in the area. thanks for the response!

@BraceMaker Engine is tilted but the marine 4160 does not have external adjustments. I have to remove the bowl and bend the tab each time. Right now it is far from level.

@jhughes I have tried it both with the old and new needle and seat. blow test seems to work.

• Baller
@AndyP Consider contacting Craig Warner at NECC in Gonic NH. He was a Correctcraft Deal since the 60's. He is the most knowledgeable person in NH regarding the older Nautiques. He is a relative of the Meloon family 603-332-5739.

@Jmoski boat is from CA but this sounds like a great contact. Thank you!!

@pcmcon729 sounds like this is the same place as Jmoski suggested. I will definitely give them a call. The help is much appreciated

• Baller
@AndyP probably not your problem anyway, but the suggestion from @jhughes relates to fuel in the float. Your moving the float up and down manually has no impact on this situation. If there is fuel in the float it will ride lower in the bowl and thus higher fuel level.

• Baller
What carb again? Saturation was a problem with Q-Jet floats. I've never seen a Holley with anything but metallic floats. Not that they don't, it's just that I've never seen them. Admittedly, I'm an old school drag racer and haven't delved into carbs in some time.

• Baller

@AndyP is it leaking at idle? If it is you may have clogged air bleeds, back out the air bleed screws on each side take carb cleaner with the little straw and spray, it should come out in side of air horn hole on each side. (do not look down air horn) eye full of carb cleaner not fun.