2005 196 Nautique - rudder grinding

igkya

• Baller
Our 196 has lost its steering torque. The adjustable trim tab is all the way to the starboard side. I'm assuming I need to grind/file the trailing port side of rudder to help add steering torque, correct? I'd rather not have to get trailer (20+ min drive each way) and load boat just to grind, can I use a file/rasp for this and if so, how long will it take to get the desired results?

• Baller

I used a Dremel cause that's all I had and it worked fine. Added advantage your not likely to take to much accidentally. Hand filing was slow going.

May want to confirm your steering isn't bound up first. Seems weird you would lose rudder torque for no reason.

• Baller_
If the tab is all the way to the starboard side, it should provide way too much torque so there is something else going that should be determined and corrected. Unless there is something seriously out of whack, the tab will provide more than enough adjustment.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller
Same prop but it does have a small ding on one of the blades, about 1/8-1/4". No other damage to the other blades nor to the rudder. To add, at 32 and 34mph, it does drive and track really well, just no torque on the steering wheel. At 30mph and below, it drives/tracks horrible, especially the slower it goers.

• Baller_

Any chance there is some wear in the connection of the steering cable to the rudder that is causing more slop and, thus, the perception that the constant torque pressure previously experienced has subsequently waned?

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

@MISkier @Bruce_Butterfield @Jody_Seal

I did check the connection of cable to rudder and it does seem loose. Also, while the steering wheel is easy to turn, trying to move the rudder by hand (at the cable connection) was difficult.

The manual filing I did last evening seemed to help a bit, but not nearly enough. Could greasing the rudder help and resolve the steering torque?

• Baller
How difficult? There is some resistance when moving the rudder. You're pushing the pinion against the rack. As @Bruce_Butterfield stated, if the tab is all the way to starboard and you have no steering torque, you've got something else significant going on.

• Baller

That surprising it doesn’t track well at 30mph, sounds like something else is going on. My 2006 TSC2 hull tracks fine at 30. Lower than 30 the boat isn’t fully on plane, so the PP has a hard time at 26 & 28mph but it still tracks ok.

@igkya have you checked the steering wheel end my housing had cracked making the teeth in rack and pinion have lots of backlash, also does your rudder have much up and down movement?because I have had that drop about 30mm on mine which could put your tune tab in a different spot of the prop.

Don't file anymore off your rudder cowboy haha.

• Baller
Update: Problem solved. Greasing the rudder probably had the biggest change. We also tightened the cable/rudder arm connection and along with some minor manual filing. The steering torque is back (maybe a bit too much, which I know to correct), the steering wheel is much easier to turn and I can easily move the rudder arm now. Thanks all for the help.