Front Binding Placement vs Foot Size

Clydesdale

• Baller
Busy contemplating my setup on a rainy day in Maine. :-( I'm Interested to hear opinions on front binding placement. Manufacturers recommend placing the front boot with the heel a certain distance from the tail. And, while I understand that is the simplest measurement, is the distance to center of the foot really what matters? I mean, we don't ski on our heels, right? I'm 215 lbs and have a small foot for that weight-10.5. Most people my weight are around a size 12. So, if a large footer placed their binding the same distance from heel/tail, the center of their foot will be further forward than mine. Do those of you with foot size inconsistent with your weight find optimal front binding placement typically differs from recommended? I find that I'm always a little forward of recommended and I wonder if this is why.....

• Baller

You have two feet, one in front of the other, so the back of the front heel is the middle.

If you want to get technical, at your inside ankle bone is your center of balance, so that's what matters.(average 2 1/2" forward of your heel)

• Baller
When setting up a new ski, always start with stock numbers. Your next move is front boot forward or back. Typically/historically for me the move has been forward. A fin change may change the boot placement but its rare for me. But one the things I look for in the final setup if things are not feeling right, where is the rear side profile rocker break in relation to my boots. On my ski's I will mark it with a marker. To far back, tip bite. To far forward, tail riding. For me that mark falls between my front boot and rear toe plate. Just something I've found over the years. Centered over you ski like a balance board on pipe.

Ernie Schlager