What's the current version of perfect pass stargazer wake firmware?

Liamfm

• Baller

Wondering what the latest and greatest version of perfect pass firmware is for the stargazer wake edition.

I'm on 8.something but see a lot of references to 9.

And of course, wondering what the difference is between them if there is a new version.

• Baller

Not sure about wake edition, but 3-event is 9.2.1

Big difference was how the speed locks in, feels more like a zero off lock in for the set speed.

I believe 3 event could be configured as wake-edition too, not sure if that is still the case though.

• Baller

Thanks. I've got an email into pp. Mine will overshoot the speed by about 2 mph, then correct too far and be 1.5 mph slow. Eventually it finds it's happy place, but it takes a while.

Skied my buddies 206 sport and his rarely overshoots. Skied a Malibu with paddle wheel and it was dead on.

I'd rather mine stop short and come up to speed vs overshoot and correct.

• Baller

I have no reference for the wake edition. like mentioned it used to be the same and you just booted it to whatever software but as I understand it the chips are pretty full up now.

i wouldnt be surprised though if theyre rne same background version when new.

I upgraded from Wake Edition to 3 Event 9.2 and it made a major difference. The boat speed locks in and holds much better. The pull is very consistent compared to wake mode. I upgraded my boat and my dads and we like it very much. I’d highly recommend it.

• Baller
Thanks Kyle, I've got the order in for the upgrade. I guess it is as easy as a USB stick or something. Should have it in a couple days. I don't ski the course well enough to appreciate a consistent pull, but I'd like to have it come up to speed and hold vs overshoot/undershoot. Hopefully this solves that issue.

When I got my used 2005 Response LX in 2015 it didn’t have PP. I went with wakeboard mode cause as novice course skiers we would set the speed and go. The problem is my engine would overshoot the speed or surge like crazy especially at 34mph. It would surge up to 36mph which would just kill my pass. I wanted to upgrade my dads 06 Response to Stargazer at the time and was speaking with Mark at PO about my surging issues. I did the upgrade to 3 Event 9.2 and the pull and the boat are so so much better. Plus you can get all the modes out of 3 event software. We typically run in Slalom Practice mode. I took our neighbor at 34mph the other night and the speed stayed solid at 33.9 to 34 mph. Very solid.

The upgrade is simple with the USB Stick. PP gives great instructions. Take about 5 minutes total which includes taking the cover off the computer. Then on a smooth morning you run AutoCal mode and it will calibrate all the speeds. I’m super happy with the upgrade and hopefully you will be too.

If you have any issues get with Mark Schwarz at Perfect Pass. He’s extremely helpful.

• Baller

Fantastic Kyle. I'm having the exact same issue. 34 will run up to 36 and 38 will run into 37.5. Both will drop below the set speed before correcting. It is annoying, so I'm glad this should fix all that.

Reading this post I realize just how spoiled we are :-). I grew up on an I/O and then an old 85hp Outboard. That was easy, "Just pin it. Pin the throttle and keep it there". Still only got about 28mph then.

USB should be here before the weekend, along with a new steering cable. Can't wait!

@Liamfm Yes we are spoiled. I remember that my dad and I would use hand signals to let the skier know we were up to the correct speed before cutting behind the boat before the PP days. It's much easier to focus on staying centered with PP now.

Let me know how your upgrade goes. Just follow the directions good. PP has some good videos on the auto calibrate. Had to do it twice in my dads boat cause the first time around the weather wasn't the best. You want a smooth day to calibrate it. Good luck!!

• Baller
I just did this exact upgrade in my 94 Sport Nautique - 8.06 to 9.21. It's a world of difference for hitting and holding target speed. I almost ran out of water trying to calibrate 36mph though lol, make sure you have some room for that. The other speeds were very quick and easy from that point. Overall I'm very happy and my wife is too since she's my primary driver, although I'm slowly working on my 11 year old.

@chaloux There is no issue if you run out of lake if you watch the Perfect Pass videos. Simply slow down to a stop. Then turn around and bring her back up to speed. It will then finish it's calibration. I had to do this with my dad's boat is we used the smooth end of the lake to calibrate his. Was too windy on the long side.