Wobbly skies

Seniornewbie

I tried water skiing for the first time in 35 years. When I come up to speed the skies start to wobble left to right. To stop the wobbling I have to slow down. Going that slow is not only boring but tiresum. What is wrong?

• Baller
What skis are you on? I've seen some beginner skis with a nearly flat bottom. These don't track very well and can certainly lead to the wobble you describe. Make sure the skis have some concavity to the bottom. Tunnel concavity is usually best for beginners.

• Baller

Me too they call him donkey for a reason right?

Different answers for different skis though. Combo skis so often are mounted poorly and no one ever questions them. I moved the bindings on our learner combos over an inch and a half to make them ride well.

I think as learners we just don't know and then as adults who bothers to ride the combos to find out?

• Baller

@Seniornewbie start with the details are you riding a pair of skis or one ski.

On the specific pair of skis in question the bindings were mounted too far back and yes they tended to wobble and the tips were up high. When guests let go they were falling in their butts. I suspect the boots had been adjustable type originally with a fixed heel and sliding toe and were swapped to a sliding heel.

But on slalom its usually fixed by trying to stand more balanced and be still on the ski.