reflex binding keeps releasing

chrislandy

• Baller

I got a used trick ski for my kid, it came with an older style reflex (yellow 404) with an ali plate.

So we bought a new boot & liner for him so he can use it on the slalom ski as well.

Now, the problem I have is stopping it prereleasing, not doing up and also not releasing!

The binding won't stay done up, or can't make it clip in to begin with - depending on the tightening force on the spring.

The forward pressure seems too much as it looks like the boot is being squished outward when trial fitting, but moving back a bolt means the top of the clip presses on the rear of the boot.

It seems really difficult to the the clip done up up too, I'm having to hold the ski and really "give it some" to force the clip into place. its already on the lightest (3.5-4) spring setting so it's got to be a mechanical thing somewhere.

It's an odd one for me, putting someone else's boot on and it seems fine, put my kids boot on someone else's binding and that's OK too so I'm baffled (I thought the lug on the boot might have been in the wrong place).

• Baller

First of all, I would recommend all Reflex users to either have a lot of experience in setting them up, or get help from an expert (I was a Reflex dealer for a number of years).

Second, Reflex changed the height of the boot back tab where the binding touches the boot when the Silvretta 500 came. They put it higher. The one you are using in the video is the newer one. Compare the boot that works OK with yours and see it the other one has the older height.

After that:

Although I cannot be 100% sure about the amount of pressure you require to apply for closing it from the video, it looks like too much.

If you are putting on the binding woth your boot on, you should be able to close it with one hand. Neiter with just two fingers nor with both hands.

Looks like you are using the old atraching system that has two small pieces with 4 bolts on each side of the Silvretta. For a number of years, the alu one that allows a micro-adjustment in the release unit position has been used for precisely being able to better adjust the closing position.

Boots are different and wear our and get looser in the binding with use.

Many of Reflex’s related accidents and mishaps are because of a poor setup. I would not recommend to use it unless you are 100% sure it is correctly fitted.

• Baller
I would buy a new mechanism. Easy to replace. I think you can get the 750 still. Safer in the long run. I’m on my 3rd mechanism. No real issues with the previous ones. It was just time.

• Baller

@ral the dealer I bought it off was a bit baffled, hence the ask to hive mind ;)

It feels too much so not happy about sending the kid out on it tbh.

Just needed to confirm it I wasn't being silly and missing something obvious in the setup.

The thing that was confusing was this new boot works OK in a newer binding, but the their boot also works OK in this one!

• Baller
I personally wouldn’t mix old and new components where the silveretta release mechanism changed. Your running a configuration that I suspect Reflex has not tested/certified to ensure it works as expected.