Ho omni base model

Roundrobin20

I would consider myself a weekend warrior average skier running 15 off at 30mph On a freeride ski. I’m just getting into 32 mph I’m pretty inconsistent now at that speed as the ski is really designed for slower speeds. I’m looking at the ho omni and wondering if the base model is a good ski for the course that will stay with me as I progress into 22 off 32mph. I’ve read the carbon omni is a good choice but wondering If the base model will get the job done.

• Baller

If you are running the course and want to progress why not getting the top of the line? The basic model used to have a non adjustable drop through fin and now has an adjustable windsurf type fin. Also the materials made of, play a role too.

You are running the course, so you are already a good skier, you need the tools that will help you. Go for the syndicate or the carbon Omni, or also take a look at omega max.

• Baller

Alternate thought: I'm curious if a 32mph skier working on -22 will really be able to tell much difference between base and carbon. The Omni shape is advertised for 28-34mph. The carbon is 1.5x the cost and the syndicate is 2.5x the cost of the base model. The promo guys seem to shred just fine on the base model.

dweuvg7nbp1u.png

• Baller
I think the base Omni would be a great ski for you. Same shape, design, features with the difference being in the construction (carbon vs fiberglass). The downside is you don't have as much upside. As you progress and get into faster speeds or shorter lines, then the Carbon Omni would be better. But for now, I think you'll love the base Omni. And another upside, in a couple of years you can get a new ski! That's always fun!

• Baller

If I were the OP the thing that I would wonder is of there is enough step.

nothing about the freeride wont do 22 and 28 off at slower speeds so if you went 15 28 30 32 and running into issues Id probably personally do 22 and 28 at 30 on the freeride. And then at that point see about some lessons and maybe demo higher end skis.

• Baller
I’ve been on a freeride and it’s a great ski for outside the course but I wouldn’t take it into buoy chasing, even at 30 mph. It’s way to flexible compared with my Carbon Omni. I’d personally get a Carbon Omni (which I did) or a Radar senate graphite. Both will get you into 34 mph and you can concentrate on your skiing form. You won’t regret the extra money on either of those skies.