Coach me! 32mph, 15off.

Slalom.Steve

• Baller_

less zoomed in

, if the shake bothers ya.

I ran my first-ever 32mph on June 12th, and now running close to half my 32s. Where can I improve?

I know I'm struggling on my gate timing. I feel like I was pretty good at 30mph, but I keep ending up late at 32mph. And I'm not even getting as wide as I want, which I'd think would mean I need pull a little longer, but then I'd be even later. I'm already starting my pull out before the boat gets to the greens, and pretty much as soon as I get straight coming around the turn island (like this video).

Thank you!

• Baller

Pretty cool that you posted video and have the right mindset.

Let’s start with the basics:

What octane are you running in your boat?

If it’s not 93, all is lost and you should consider selling your gear.

• Baller
Some of the folks at my lake have me convinced that 15 off is counterproductive. All the juniors at my lake are going out at 22 off even if they need to start slower. My boy starts an 22 off, 24.9 mph (his hard pass right now is 22 off / 32 mph). His cousins start at 23 mph/22 off and run into 30 mph.

• Baller

watch the first video here -

I do a lot of driving for Joel's coaching and he progresses long line skiers so well with this information - most coaches forget what its like to ski long line and that long line skiers aren't generating the speed needed to stop cutting when your "technically" suppose to. Joel is all about cutting longer past the second wash a bit to get you wider so that its possible to have a pre turn - this will help a lot once you progress and gain more speed earlier ...

I'd add that there is a lot to like in the video you posted - I think you could progress quite fast. Perhaps load up a vid for Joel to review

• Baller

I would argue against 15 off being counterproductive.

Hips up, very difficult to do by just going for it.

Hips are not going up if you load the line early without allowing the ski to turn (buoys 3 and 5, where the ski is behind you, see the effect of this at the wake crossing).

One of the good pieces of advice I have heard (besides @scoke ’s octane suggestion) is to “split” the turn into stages: 1) turn 2) grab the handle 3) get into position and 4) start loading, when you “feel” the boat is there to support you 5) work behind the boat, and not at the buoy.

When, instead of staging it you do all of the above at once, you might get a really good turn now and then, but more often you will not.

• Baller

do you see/feel that kick to wide when you hold better position and leverage thru the second wash?

Also more front foot starting in your glide for the gates, you still tend to lean back on the ski get up over that front foot. Both you and your brother tend to lead a bit with your chin and hang your keester out the back. Tends to be a hard fix.

Much improved from before though, especially for a guy with very little course/water time to date. Spank those 32 mph passes and work in a 34 here and there.

I think @scoke has been smelling too much gas.

• Baller

@6balls You hit on something here that I've struggled with. With my body position "hips up" and "more front foot" are a one or the other thing for me. I'm actually pretty good at "hips up". I'm pretty damn bad at "more front foot".

Any advice/tricks from people to try to make both of those possible at the same time?

• Baller

Here you are applying power well out of the turn, your hips are on the way to do good things, but you didn't commit...

Hips were almost locked in, but you stopped them short..

dwb9m7aww1u2.jpg

Here you are applying good power, but decreasing, crushing more with each frame, shoulders leading more each frame, because you didn't lock in the hips earlier.

Way too late to correct without experience while line is loaded firm

o140u3ogybag.jpg

Producing this....whatever it is... no power, just survival

dymthg9bkaua.jpg

• Baller
Yes, reset the body while skiing straight. arms out, roll shoulders back chest out, hips forward knees flexed roll forward on the ankles. You should feel your vest and torso between your upper arms, else your hips are behind you. hold that while doing cutting drills till you feel the power of having the skeleton lined up

• Supporting Member

@mlange I think you are misunderstanding something, and I suggest a video (in a separate thread) to get some directed feedback. It should be impossible to do what I mean by hips up while still having your weight on your back foot.

But I have seen so many people do "creative" interpretations of "hips up," that I don't even teach the concept any more.