vacation ski lake in Tennessee

malibuduude

looking for advise on good Tennessee road trip destination lake for skiing. Cumberland, Grayson, Laurel river and Cave run lakes all look to be similar distance for me. Primary interest is great skiing conditions, natural beauty, accessibility and acommadations ; slalom course would be a nice bonus

• Baller

Add Dale Hollow and Norris lake to your list.

We used to ski Dale Hollow a lot. There was a course on the lake and we could always find a spot with good conditions for free skiing.

It’s been a long time since we’ve been there so I’m not sure if the current craziness for boat sales has made it more crowded or not. I’ve heard accommodations there have dropped in quality. We used to stay at Eagles cove (not far from the slalom course) or Sunset Marina. I believe Sunset has kept their facilities up though.

• Baller

@Minelickskier

Could you give the location of those 4 Center Hill slalom courses? I skied the one not too far from the state park a couple of years ago. The left turn near the shoreline for the setup made my boat driver wife a little nervous. Any recommendations on which one we should try next time?

• Baller
@1skinut the course you skied on is in Raccoon Hollow and yes the set up is close to the shore. The others are in Mine Lick Creek, one behind Pates Ford Marina, and another close to Cookeville Boat Dock. Mine Lick is maintained well, as is Pates Ford, not sure about Cookeville Boat Dock course. There are some beautiful Waterfalls behind Cookeville Boat Dock that you can get close to unless the water level is low.

• Baller
We vacation at Norris Lake every summer. It is definitely a tourist take so staying up the clinch branch at the east end is where you want to be to ski. Surfers and tubers kill the rest of the lake. The Big Sycamore Creek area is generally pristine and where we have taught most of the kids in our crew how to barefoot. We bring a portable course as well. Our best setup has been behind Lakeview Marina but the east end of Big Sycamore creek was pretty good. There are two courses on the west end of Norris but the shorelines suck. We tried Flat Hollow marina this summer. We stashed the course behind the marina. It was satisfactory but not great in regards to backwash. I know another group that puts a course behind Norris Landing. I can't comment on the shoreline.