32MPH - 22off / 32off What Ski are you Riding ?

Stevie Boy

• Baller

Hi Guy's & Girls

32mph line length 22off to 32off

Have you had to change your ski, for the slower speed, what ski are you riding, interested to see if one particular ski stands out amongst the rest.

Generally the weight range of a ski changes as the speed decreases, have you gone Longer, Wider, Lost Weight or Managed to keep the ski that you were on.

• Administrators

This is an interesting subject. Until a year or two ago I would recommend a ski like a Radar Senate, Connelly Carbon V, or Goode WideRide for 32mph or slower. The thinking was that a wider ski will make and hold speed better.

When some friends of mine, both past national champions, had to slow down they tried Connelly GTRs. I assumed that because the GTR is one of the narrower high-end skis that they would not like it. I was WRONG. What they found is that because the GTR is narrow and rolls over aggressively it goes through the wakes better and that made all the difference.

My take away is that for accomplished skiers wider skis may not be better. Wider skis are often better for skiers with less experience. The answer is certainly not black and white.

• Baller
My B3 kids (boy and cousins) all ski on Vapors within the Radar recommended size-to-weight range; 2 start at 23 mph and one starts at 24.9 (all at 22 off) and they consistently run at least 3 passes sometimes 4 passes off the dock (i.e., into 30 and 32 mph). Last September they were just starting to occasionally run a pass at 22 mph. You could not pry their Vapors out of their cold dead hands. I personally don't buy that you need a wider ski for 32 mph.

• Baller
Years ago in the INT league there was a wide ride division. Skiers consistently skied at least a full pass better on a wide ride at a slower speed (down from 34mph to 26-28 mph). I would say, all things being equal, the wide ride will increase your buoy count, especially if you are punching in a higher weight class. I'd love to give the XTR CC wide ride a go, comparing it to my non-wide ride XTR CC.

• Baller

I was on a 66.5" Denali V 3.4 when I dropped to 32 mph it worked well at this speed and I ran into 35 off on it a few times in practice, unfortunately it broke.

I went back onto my 66.75" Mapple 6.0 which I haven't run 32 off on despite having @SkiJay set it up for me, I am now on a 68.5" 6.0 and my scores are the same, took the wing off for one set last week and that felt promising so will see how it goes this weekend.

This is my 5th year at 32 mph and it all feels downhill as I am getting older and less fit and wonder if it is worth getting a new ski, will be interesting to see what other people are on.

I third it, with what Horton and jjackrash said about the myth of slower speeds need wider skis for the course. My wife and I both went into Vapor Pros this season and would give up our first born before giving up our Vapors!

My wife is 67 years old and skis the course at 26-28 mph and I have ALWAYS had her on slightly wider skis. Her last ski was a 65” 2019 Syndicate Omni. But in spring this year my neighbor’s daughter got a new ski and told us to try her old 65” 2017 Vapor Pro. WOW! What a difference! Now my wife starts off the dock at 29 mph and running her 30.4 mph. What a game changer!

As for myself, I tuned 65 years old in July this year and at the end of last season I started skiing on a Syndicate Omni getting ready to ski at old mans speed this year. So when I started skiing this season, I decided not to torment myself and ski at 32 mph. I also went into a Senate Pro. Buoy count was same as it has been for the past few years at 22-28 off and a rare 32 off.

But my same neighbor got a new ski and told me to try his 2020 Vapor Pro. And WOW, the same results as my wife. Now I’m skiing 22-32 off and running 32 off each set. Never thought I’d do that. I believe wider high performance skis are good for open water skiers and beginners new to the course. If you have decent body position, keep your ski speed up and let the ski ski, you will better off on a regular ski.

• Baller

I ride a 2017 Vapor Pro 67 inch, but I am on the weight limit of 180llbs to185llbs for 34mph which makes me over @32mph, I would think 175llbs @32mph.

So I am about to Demo the NRG R2 67 inch the weight range is just a little bit more generous 165llbs to 190llbs for 32mph.

Never had much joy on D3, keeping my fingers crossed, will let you know how it works out.

Trying to drop some weight but at the moment , weight is my problem, I do not want to ride a longer ski, at 5'6 , I do not want to go any longer than 67 would love to be on a 66 again, but would have to shift at least 14lbs.

• Baller

Equally, I have seen a senate run 41’ @34…

i subscribe to the wider ski at slower speed theory..I have jumped onto a friends 67” omni - 35’off @ 34 no probs 4th pass. It was a horrible pass, but It was the fact that it carried speed and supported me that was important…one of my ski buddies runs 39’ off @18mph on a trick ski…no way he could do that on a slalom ski…

The vapor is a great ski…stand on it properly and it will ski great at most speeds..whatever works I guess..

• Baller

Are you seeing particular fin/binding adjustments to Vapors (or other high end skis) that work better for the slower speeds (in particular 32 mph)?

Coming off a series of Senates to a Vapor, I'm struggling with turning the ski. Bus like offside turns and "break at the waist" onside turns. Didn't have these issues with the Senate, running stock or Rini's numbers on it. On Vapor, stock long/shallow settings.

Does 32mph benefit from setting up short/deep or some variation?

Aspiring 22-28 off skier, been into 32 on a good day.

• Baller
I spoke with Brooks Wilson re: stock Vapor setting for slower speeds and he recommends long and shallow/stock setting and potentially using less wing angle than stock until you are into shortline (or even pulling it off until you start cutting rope). My boy skis much better with 7 degrees than the recommended 9 degrees.

• Baller
For what it's worth I ski at 32 MPH on a 67" NRG. Good day mid 35 off. Used to run 35 with some regularity, but that was a few years back. Seem to lose a few buoys each year. I'm 74, so...

• Baller
@LeonL you're my hero - great skiing. At age 64 I still have good years ahead. @2Valve - will be interested to hear your GTR comments. Been riding one for 2 yrs now and love it but have never ridden a Carbon V. GTR is a water magnet . Grip is amazing

• Baller
I am a M6 skier for another year. Last year I had an detached retina eye injury (not from skiing). I came back from the eye injury skiing at 32mph on my 2018 67” Vapor Pro. I did not notice any ski behavior issues with 32mph vs 34mph. The Vapor skis really well at 32mph I have thought about trying a Senate, but the Vapor has been working really well for me. This year I have stuck with 32mph, and I am having more fun getting into 35off. I have been working diligently on my form and technique. Skiing at 32mph has helped that immensely. Just a little more time to think. I do need to try some 33 and 34mph passes. Maybe after this weekends tournament.