Welcome to M9 slalom . . we've added wake jumping to your slalom event

swbca

• Baller_

@Horton When I found the archive videos of the M9 event at the 2020 Nationals, it was the first time I saw how all of the skiers were getting launched at the wake. I had never seen that in a Nationals before. The Terry Winter 30 mph demonstration video shows that even a very good skier can't absorb all of the 30 mph wake with his knees, so his upper body is lifted at the wake on longer rope lengths.

At 34mph Its feels better and looks better to be able to quietly absorb the wake. I know this isn't news, but its news to me because I just got here recently.

• Baller_
@Horton You have skied and reviewed a lot skis. From your experience do you find the D3 skis tend to have a harder wake impact than others. If so, it seems logical they might because the 67" ski I am using has a lot of mid and frontal support. And watching the lightweight men pros and women on D3's they are very quick to complete turns with tip engagement. If this question makes no sense in 2021 - I get it.

• Baller

The ION is a traditionally shaped ski. It is designed to have a carved turn (wider R2 is designed to have quicker turns). It should not have any particularly strong mid and frontal support.

I have not heard anyone mentioning D3s have a hard wake (or that concept applied to any other ski).

• Baller
I'm in M9 and have used three different skis at 30 mph and several different boat brands. There is little to no difference in how the three skis handle the wake and little difference between boats. It is just fact that the 30 mph wake is big and hard. Even on a hard edge through the wake, there is still a hard bounce to the body. If anyone figures out how to change that, I would sure like to know about it.

• Baller_

A TYPO CORRECTION - I have a 67 D3 EVO. It was sitting my closet unused . . pulled it after selling the 69" ION a few weeks ago.

@ral some M6+ skiers on this forum have said they traded in their shorter wider models for 'standard' models because of the impact on the wake. I got rid of the 69" ION because it was harder on the wake than the 67" EVO. All of that said the problem is probably ME.

• Baller
The ION is an “evolution” of the EVO, which is a traditionally shaped ski as well. For sure a much larger (69”) ski will launch more at the wake. Shape of the EVO and ION are very similar.

• Baller_

He can continue to ski 34. He will just be scored at 30 mph at Regionals, Nationals, or any class E/L/R tournament. They will just put OK in for the times, knowing that they will all be fast and be accepted by the skier.

In class C, he can ski 34 and get the correct score for that speed. It will also apply to his ranking calculation.

At the 2021 Midwest Regionals, the winning M9 score was 4.5 at 22 off at 30 mph. If he can run 34/-22 or 34/-28 or anything shorter than that, he will win even with the penalty for skiing overspeed.

The winning M9 score at 2020 Nationals was 2 at 35 off at 30 mph. So, that would be quite a tall order to get beyond 2 at -35 at 34 mph in that division. This is where maybe a 32 mph strategy might be needed - or conquer the 30 mph wake.

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_
@Andre @MISkier Skiing at 34 might be nice in theory, but not realistic for tournaments for an M9 skier. My solution is to ski @32mph and skip practicing at 22 and 28 off on a regular basis if I can't figure out how to handle the wake bump. This isn't a matter of preference; 28 off and longer causes problems with old orthopedic surgical sites related to skiing.

• Administrators

@swbca

All modern traditional shape skis are going to go through the wakes similarly. The biggest difference is how much the skier rolls the ski over & how much pressure is applied. In other words if you flatten the ski at the wakes it is going to fly.

I am a firm believe that the skier should never attempt to absorb the wakes. You want to be in a strong position and keep the ski on edge.

The bad news is that different boats have different wakes and rostertails. At some point is is what it is. The moment you try to anticipate the wakes it will get worse.