Support for Mike Suyderhoud

Horton

• Administrators

From Anneke Suyderhoud

My father, Mike Suyderhoud is a legendary Hall of Fame water skier with 5 World Champion titles and 16 US National titles. In his 50+ year career, he has professionally coached and influenced hundreds of water skiers from all around the world. He is a household name in Northern CA due to his well-known International Water Ski School and ski show on Shasta Lake in the 70’s, 80’s and early 90’s.

Unfortunately, my dad will no longer be able to participate in the sport and industry he has dedicated his life to.

My dad is in advanced stages of diabetes, kidney failure and is fighting a myriad of battles associated with this insidious disease. He was rushed to the hospital via ambulance on June 13, 2021 where we discovered he had a severe blood infection coursing through his body. Per his doctors recommendation to ultimately save his life, his left leg needed to be amputated at the knee. He is currently recovering from his recent amputation at a rehab facility in the greater Redding area.

Read more https://www.gofundme.com/f/2x3h7-support-for-mike-suyderhoud

My dad's goal is to be home with his family and discharged for home care and outpatient rehab/physical therapy.

• Baller
Bump. Skiing with Mike in Shasta in 1994 changed the trajectory of my skiing life. First and foremost his knowledge, coaching style and hospitality were second to none. Knowing that I was living in Marin Co. at the time he steered me to contacts with the clubs at Aquatic Park. Returned the next spring with a friend who was free skier just discovering course and Mike got him completely stoked. I’ll never forget his story about when he got the first ever ‘rock’ reride, at a nationals warm up tourney at Spencer’s in Owego, New York. One of his competitors hurled a huge rock into the pond to throw rollers into the coarse as he was resting at the other end. All this on top of being an all time great, hall of famer who gave a lot more to the sporting world than he ever took.

• Baller
I have talked to Mike a few times in the last couple of months. He has built a custom slalom course for use at the upcoming World Games tournament for me to install. He seems to be working through his difficulties and moving forward. His knowledge and help in getting the course ready is much appreciated!

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller