Mike Mello

Horton

• Administrators

I received news yesterday that Mike Mello is in the ICU in Sacromento. I do not know much else.

The Mello family has been a part of California water skiing as long as I can remember.

• Baller
Wishing Mike and the family the best. Their place was one of the greatest ski shops ever and their hospitality and service, second to none. They were one of those ‘you’re the most important person in the world right now’ people when they were conversing with you. I still have my first ARS handle and an O’Neill BLP Assault vest that I bought there back in the early 90’s, stashed in the basement. It was a nice surprise to see Mike at Hammer’s in Petaluma some time later. ?

• Baller
Want to hear a story about Mike Mello? I'm going to tell you anyway. I had just received my new KD7000 when they had just come out and Denny had practically given it to me. I couldn't do anything on it and didn't want to call and ask for my money back on it. I called Mike and asked him if he would trade me for a new EP. He told me yes --BUT-- before you do that he told me you better check the fin set-up because he told me everyone was raving about that ski. I can still remember his voice. I listened to him and the 1st time out I tried it, I ran 32' and couldn't believe it. THANK YOU MIKE MELLO!! Get well quickly

• Baller
Didn't Mike have a stroke a few years back during a SUP race or something like that? Mellow Marine is not far from my house and it seems stocked up and busy and I was thinking Mike must've recovered well and was able to carry on. Wonder if this is related to that prior issue. Hope he comes out of this OK. Any West Coast skier that has been around awhile has plenty of good Mello stories.