BRIAN DETRICK: Makes Waterski History As 12th Person In The World To Run 41off/10.25m In Competition

Horton

• Baller
What an incredible accomplishment! Huge congrats to Brian. Amazing that only 12 skiers have made it down that line length in a tournament and is a true testament to how hard this sport is and what a commitment it takes to achieve such a remarkable feat. These athletes are unbelievable and only those involved in the sport know what it truly takes to do what they are capable of. Great job again Brian!!

• Administrators
I think Brain is the second or third skier to ever run 41 with SurePath rules in effect. Theoretically previous boat paths were checked after the fact but unless they were way out I am not sure if the scores would have been always adjusted.

• Administrators

@Xpropman to the breadcrumb trail is critical for the driver to self-evaluate but it is not part of the official data set and generally I don't believe it is preserved.

It is possible for the boat to move substantially left to right and then be in exactly the right place during the two measurement zones but at 41 off that would be inconceivably difficult and would not help the skier in any way.

• Baller

@Horton First, congratulations to Brian for a phenomenal weekend of skiing! He’s been skiing great and close to knocking down 41 for years. Hugh accomplishment.

Second, great driving from Greg and Will. It was cool to see the SurePath data so everyone could celebrate Brian’s performances.

Unfortunately, prior to SurePath there was always some skepticism regarding boat path when skiers would put up huge scores. Like it or not, perfect or not, SurePath removes any boat path gossip.

I’m fortunate to be using SurePath on every practice and tournament set for over a year now and it is an incredible tool. I’ve become a much better driver as a result.

It has also been very beneficial to the drivers I am blessed to have drive for me which happen to be among the best in the World. (Jeff Kepchia, Becky Lathrop, David James, Paul Santangelo, Roger

Clark, Chet Raley, Noah Vieke and Jaret Llewellyn)

While it’s great to have the data, the breadcrumbs are the key to understand how the boat and skier dance down the course.

As we all know, slalom in its most simple form is nothing more than establishing the correct rhythm and path for each line length. The breadcrumbs illustrate this perfectly and should be used by the driver and skier to determine what is working and what can be improved. From my experience, it’s making a big impact with my shortest line length.

I can’t speak for @Xpropman, however, I assume the breadcrumb request is to better understand how the driver and skier were dancing for all of us to learn what is required to drive and ski a full pass at 41 and not to criticize.

Sorry for the long rant….

Congratulations again the BRIAN DETRICK!!!