How should you drive? Discussion...oh boy!

liquid d

• Baller

https://top.41off.com

Shooting for plus 3 to plus 6 on each bouy gives a nice rhythm and smoothness to the pass for shortline slalom. I consider myself a very good driver able to put a 200 (or 97 bubblebutt) right where i want it. BUT, We seem to be moving away from any deviation and i guess "we" want to ski behind a freight train with no give, and now put all the give in the rope (which loses it's give in a matter of weeks).

I love the sport and will continue to compete and enjoy running bouys until I can't. But there is no doubt that what we have done takes a toll on the body.

Discuss on! haha!

• Baller_
There is a belief by some that consistently driving, say, a plus five all the way down the course, pass after pass, skier after skier, is “pattern driving” justifying sanctions against the driver. It seems that the logic is that such driving favors the skier, which is to say it could favor a single skier. To these skeptics, this “pattern” is employed to utilize a tolerance to favor the skier. Accordingly, by this logic, random driving with a mix of positive and negative deviations is preferred because then there is no “pattern.” Go figure.

Lpskier

• Baller

Can it make a difference ? left foot forward drive within tolerance more to the right(offside) or to the left for right forward (offside) allowing the skier to utilize their stronger onside.

In saying that until you get right down the line, say 38off and below is it going to make any difference at all,

• Baller
It isn’t just the number (at boat guides) but how you get there, the driver needs to lead the dance (Lee Mershan speak) for the skier. You could get good number but have a bad pull, the bread crumbs is the best indicator. However, if a drive can get +5 at each buoy and attempts to do for all skier, more power to him. No matter what, as in all things in life some are going to be better than others.

• Administrators

I think the bottom line is there's very few drivers who can actually put the boat wicked dead center all the way down the lake. For those few guys they should strive to drive according to the spirit of the rule which is down the middle.

I think what's more important than how far the pylon moves is the timing and rhythm. I strive to point the back of the boat over to the skier a bit but to not actually let the pylon move much. I'm not saying I'm good at it but in the end I'm trying to be right down the middle and make it feel good.

• Baller

A few key points in my opinion.

- Drive proactive, not reactive. Working the wheel in anticipation of pull and load will result in greater stability of the pylon, and also allow the skier to remain connected. This minimises how much wheel work is needed at the backside of the period of load when the skier is going outbound off the 2nd wake. This is probably the most sensitive time where the skier will feel the boat. Being proactive means any corrective work is already done, and allows the skier to swing out and up on the boat better, not having their pivot point move.

- Aim to keep constant feel and connection about where the skier is at all times. Especially avoid movements that would disconnect them from the boat. This will mostly be moving with the skier as they go outbound off the 2nd wake.

- The critical 'work zone' for the driver is the period from hook up to centerline for the skier. Unless you find yourself grossly off target (or tournament driving), you are better off correcting yourself at the next ball, than working the wheel too late as the skier goes outbound. Better off being over aggressive than under doing it while the skier is loaded up into the 1st wake - they probably wont feel it.

- Dont aim for a line of 0's down the lake at the expense of keeping connection. I would rather be off-sided 5cm at every ball and know where the boat is at all times, than be +5 and struggling to get swing and connection.

- As Horton said, it often equates to feeling like the back of the boat is pointing towards the skier at all times and the boat is pivoting around the pylon down the lake - especially in a mastercraft.

Driving like this does not have to equate to giving the skier +5 or +10 at every ball. If being proactive with the wheel gets classed as 'pattern driving' then I think we are heading in the wrong direction when it comes to boat path monitoring. Its simply false to think that a skier is getting through 39 or 41 with a driver whos only aim to to get the accumulated deviation as low as possible.

• Baller

It,s a Dance ! if the skier and driver are in rythm, driving within tolerance is easy and requires very little input, the more relaxed the driver is, the easier it is to strike the rythm,

Understanding propeller rotation direction, helps , if you have setup correctly, a very small, I mean very small, correction may be required on one side, depending on boat manufacturer.

• Baller

@lpskier so driving in sync with the skier is pattern driving? I’m with you. There should be no sanctions against this driver. If the driver is within the given perimeters this would be a great ride.

Sure path is a great tool to aid a driver to see where they are in the course. It does not mean you drive to sure path drivers just need to feel the rut hum of the skier.

I have watched many top drivers while driving and it does not take much to keep a straight path along with being in sync with the skier. I’ve noticed that less is better when moving the wheel to set against the skier.

• Baller_

I had forgotten the dance

Until a few weeks ago I hadn't pulled a strong skier through a course for many decades. On the first pass I drove like there was no skier. That was a mess because the skier pulled the boat off center by 18" after the first ball and then there is no way to correct it. It took 2 more passes to become proactive and keep the boat centered (not sure about the Pylon) The skier ran his usual 35off and was happy.