Fin Block Adjustment Grub Screws

Stevie Boy

• Baller

Can somebody please ,tell me the thread and size of the Fin Block Adjustment Grub Screws, I have realised that when I clamp the Fin the screws are effectively trying to clamp the grub screw as well as the fin, two of the clamping screws are close to the grub screws, after some discussion it was decided to tigthen the fin block a little without the Grub Screws in, and then re-tap the grub screw holes, this would ensure good clamping of the fin, and prevent over tightening and stripping of threads.

I know probably nobody else, has had this problem and it is particular to me, however I feel the design of this fin block does have a flaw and can be improved, by re-positioning the Fwd and aft positon of clamp screws furthe away from the adjustment grub screws.

I am not having a go at anybody and will not name the manufacturer, but there is room for improvement.

• Administrators

@Stevie Boy you are using a non-stock fin? Sounds like your fin is thinner than the fin block was designed for.

I suggest just living without the set screws (grub screws).

• Baller

@Horton standard manufacture fin, just really needed the thread spec for the grub screws and I can sort it out myself, it would be nice to keep the adjustment screws for the fin to sit against, if they were a tiny bit loose, I can deal with that.

I would be happier to just re-tap the adjustment holes and free them up just a weeny bit.

Unfortunately I have the Grip of a Gorilla.

• Administrators

The set screws are really just there for when you are moving your fin. They don't really serve a purpose once the clamp is tight.

you can walk into a nut and bolt store with one of your other set screws and they'll hook you up. every decent size city has one of those stores if you know it or not

• Baller

rvu1bw6e717i.jpeg

@Stevie Boy while I agree with Horton, if you remove your fin block, tighten it a bit and run this tap through the adjusting threads, you will be able to tighten the fin without it being able to move and still have the adjusting screws in place...

Size is 5/16 unf24.

Have done this successfully on fin blocks used with a thinner than stock Denali fins...