trivia - Are Master Craft boat covers intended to be water proof, or just for dust and leaves ?

swbca

• Baller_
The Master Craft cover that came with the 2004 Prostar I bought last year was never used outside except for a day or 2 transitioning between lake and storage each year. So its like brand new - no color fade. When I took the boat out from our covered boat lift and had it our driveway with the Master Craft cover, it rained 2" over-night. It all ended up in the boat. The boat was dry when I pulled it out of the lake, so I hadn't pulled the plug. There are no openings, gaps, puddles or rips in the cover. Then this morning, even the over-night due had seeped to the inside of the cover. Is this normal ? If so they must have offered a water resistant cover as well ?

• Baller

I'd get a Tumacs cover if it is only used for the odd day of outside storage. The material they're made out of is amazing and won't lose it's waterproofing. Probably significantly cheaper too.

Call Skip Dunlap

I have an old loose fitting Sunbrella type cover I use as a winter dust cover and a Tumacs cover I use for 2-3 days a year the boat is outside.

P.S. All this talk of winterization and pulling boats needs to stop. It's not even October! :smile:

• Baller

For period of time (and maybe still) the same company (commercial sewing in CT) makes the covers for both MC and Correct Craft. When I bought my used 196 from the dealer I bought a new cover for it. First big rain storm and I had 6” of water in the bilge, I sent it back and they determined the coating they apply was defective! I was so annoyed.

I got a CoverSports cover from Brent in Washington state which has been awesome. Not sure if he is still in business. Sheds water like a duck.

If your cover has two ratchets on the back to tighten it up - that’s the one…

• Baller
303 makes a waterproofing agent. I was able to use it to extend the life of a cover to 17 years on a boat that sits on a lift during the season. Buy the spray bottle and the gallon refill. It will be more than enough to treat it. Once it cures it should make the water bead up and run right off.

• Baller
They seem to work well for 2-3 years but then they all start to let some water thru. I have been told it's because they stretch and the fibers separate. But others say its dirt-dust that works its way into the fabric that then allows water thru. And then there is just the age factor whether it's used or not.

• Baller

Wash by hand using atsko sport wash and a soft brush over a bunch of plastic deck chairs, then rinse the hell out of it and let it dry.

Once dry apply 303 marine fabric guard or similar product to the dry tarp - 2 applications usually.

This makes the tarp hydrophobic - where it sits on the hull though will "leech"

• Baller_
@GaryJanzig The waterproofing agent might work. I just pushed part of the cover into a bucket, then poured water into the cover. The water ran out like through a bunch of pin holes. It didn't go through like if it was a cotton towel. So it is probably more a water repellent surface rather than like a water proof film.

• Baller_

@jjackkrash @GaryJanzig

RE: 303 fabric guard . .

Both of you mentioned using this product for my 18 year old Master Craft boat cover that doesn't repel water; it pours right through. Except for the water repellency, the cover is in great condition because it was never outside more than a few days total over the last 2 decades..

The easiest way to stretch this cover out to spray on the 303 fabric guard is to put it on the boat. Is that how you applied it ? did you apply it in light coats that didn't leak through, or spread it out somewhere else ?

• Baller
Says right on the 303 instructions not to have your cover touching any fiberglass. Spread out over the empty boat trailer or as @BraceMaker suggested, a bunch of plastic yard chairs. Dries in a couple hours, but needs to to cure for 12-24 hours. Cant recall the recoat time.

• Baller

@swbca it will make sense when you spray it but the product has a bit of a greasy/kerosene like feel to it when its wet that evaporates off leaving a film on the fabric.

But remember first you need to clean the fabric, if the fabric is dirty water landing on the material will basically soak the dirt and then that will be a leak.

You can get a far more waterproof cover if you need it but they don't breath well. So my tactic is to have a nice breathable Sunbrella cover, and then if needed I toss a plain waterproof tarp over the whole lot and stake it out so it lets air under. I do this both for rain but also UV reduction on the boat and trailer.