When to upgrade? Beginner question

OREGON85

• Baller

I started skiing a couple years ago and bought an HO Omni. It was an amazing improvement over the big ol’ ski that the seller threw in when I bought my boat. I have really liked that ski. However, I feel like I have plateaued in my progression. I’m sure that is mostly due to the fact that with a demanding work schedule and three small children I don’t get enough time on the water. BUT…. Yesterday I skied on a friend’s Omni Carbon and immediately felt the difference. It felt much stiffer and more responsive. Now I’m wondering if I might begin improving again with a new ski. Any thoughts on that? What should I ski next? It seems like maybe an HO Omega Max or maybe a Syndicate Omni might be a possible next ski.

Thank you in advance for the advice and wisdom which abounds in this forum!

• Baller

The Omni I have is the fiberglass one with the plastic fin.

The handful of times I skied a course, I was at 28 mph. When I ski behind my boat in open water I ski at 31 because the wake is flatter. There is a public course about an hour away and I plan to spend go there a lot next summer.

• Baller
@OREGON85 Active Water Sports in Oregon City has a pretty easy and flexible demo program. A little distance from you but they let me take a couple of Radar’s for like a week. They have HO as well but I don’t know exactly what they have in stock.

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller

I guess if AWS is open on a Saturday I could go in and grab a demo ski or two, ski on the river and get them back the same day.

My current ski does have Freemax bindings. In my novice ignorance, I have actually liked them pretty well. One key reason is my wife and I are both within the 67” ski range and it has allowed us to share a ski. I was hopeful that we would still be able to share.

• Baller

@OREGON85 you can share, its not a big deal. But be aware bindings are harder to move between than skis. My brother and I have basically the exact same ski but he uses a Wileys and I use a hardshell, and he uses a dual boot and I use a rear radar HRT.

I left my ski home a few weeks back because it was supposed to be terrible weather over the weekend then it was beautiful so I used his ski. It took me 4 tries to get up and a few turns in I crashed hard. The two skis are the same length/model and 2 years apart in manufacture. I rode it a few times that weekend and it improved but the bindings are a hard thing to get past.

So when you demo don't plan on being able to really evaluate the ski unless you use your normal boot on it.

• Baller

Well, I got one of the last Omni Syndicate skis and put a Stance 130 binding on it and got to try it out yesterday. It was TRANSFORMATIONAL! I love that ski.

Plus, with the Stance 130, wife and I can still share a ski. It seems to be a great option, plenty stiff, but still works for both of us.

New ski day is a fun experience!