Teak Expert ? is there any way to remove deep black stain from teak platform ?

swbca

• Baller_

The 2004 ProStar I bought last fall had the dealer installed Transom Protector on the teak platform. I removed it because it partially covered the subtitle on the transom graphics making it look like a poorly conceived do-it-yourself modification. The teak under the protector was almost black. I just refinished the platform with Linseed Oil after stripping the semi-opaque pigmented exterior house stain the prior owner had used on the platform. Also aggressively power sanded the platform to get the pigment out of the grain. The linseed oil brought the wood under protector back to almost black. So I power sanded the area to the point the V-Grove between planks was noticeable shallower. Then used Oxalic acid twice. Then chlorine bleach. After flushing with water and fully dry, I applied the Linseed oil in the affected area and its still very dark.

I hope someone posts one of their favorite "spinning my wheels" animations. But since this boat is in "like new" condition" and its too cold to ski, why not ask ?

yo3xprxr7nwh.png

Dealer installed Master Craft Transom Protector

3mj4fqea9440.png

• Baller

A couple suggestions that have helped revive ours:

1. Power washer

2. Starbrite Teak Cleaner kit

3. Sanding as a last resort

Follow up with multiple coats of oil.

I found teak oil to work the best. With linseed oil it was recommended to mix with turpentine.

• Baller

pn76zryw1wd1.png

Sanding and power washer work, but they take off a lot of material. Power washer leaves the surface uneven. I have been using this chemical for over 20 years. Works great. It says scrubless, but if you use a nylon brush to scrub, it works better. For really bad stains, you may need to let it dry, and then apply a second time. Let it dry thoroughly and oil the heck out of the clean surface.

• Baller_
@robmollysilverlake Ok, the weather has been great. I have been kicking myself for winterizing and storing the boat so soon. The guy who takes all of the boat lifts out on our lake gave us a deadline of Oct 1. But we should be out visiting other lakes - stopping at good dock-side bars etc.

• Baller
@LeonL actually while it may be called teak oil, there actually is no such thing. All products marketed as teak oil are some kind of blend of oils (most often linseed and tung), solvents and sometimes some sort of resin +11 herbs and spices. There is a host of info on outdoor oil finishes, and in my case I've started experimenting with wax oils. The one with the best reputation so far (and what I've just applied on my cedar deck) is Osmo decking oil. My teak platform is in serious need of some TLC and I'll probably use the Osmo on it. My advice would be to avoid any outdoor finish with resin in it because it will crack and peel. At least with the oils, if you don't let them go too long without a recoat you can just add a new coat every season or two.

• Baller_

@LeonL You are probably right about the teak products for teak wood. A 50/50 mix of Linseed Oil and paint thinner is mentioned by a few BOS members and also some teak refinishing web sites. My problem is the depth of the black stain. It goes deep into the wood. I have removed a lot of wood and its still there. We had an teak Adirondack chair that was sitting on a damp floor for years in storage. The black stain was throughout the thickness of the plank material.

The platform looks alot better now than a few weeks ago. Once I start skiing again, I don't think I will be to concerned about the dark strip of wood.

• Baller_
3 weeks later, the very dark areas have lightened after the solvents have evaporated from the Linseed oil. They have lightened enough so they blend in with the rest of platform. So power sanding more than 1/16" of wood off those areas helped even though it didn't look like it originally. Thanks for all tips !