Gloves for cold (very cold) water?

OldboyII

• Baller

Depends on how tight your usual ski gloves are, but if you have room, the method I have found works best for me is:

1. Use a very thin merino wool liner-glove (icebreaker and smartwool both make nice ones, be sure to get the thinnest ones), then fold (or hem) the part that extends over your wrist in a bit so they aren't too long.

2. Put the surgical glove over the merino wool glove, and make sure the wrist of the surgical glove extends past the wool glove.

3. When you put your drysuit on, it's important that the wrist gasket on your drysuit is over the wrist part of the surgical glove but also still making contact with your skin so no water leaks into the suit (if you don't have a drysuit, duct tape around the wrist works as well, but usually after a few passes it starts to leak...plus you have to rip it off after)

4. Then put your ski gloves on. You should have perfectly dry (and warm!) hands even after multiple full sets.

• Baller

@Kroeks

I do exact the same but I use my kevlar liners.

There are also a bit thicker Nitril gloves that last a bit longer....

We also ski down to 0C (water freeze temp).

I also put on a thin vest under the dry suite.

2mm neo socs in my Radar Pulse boots.

Hardly tight them at all.

• Baller

For me the problem is two fold:

1. Keeping hands warm

2. Maintaining sufficient grip strength for short line loading.

Warm is actually quite easy as there are many 2/3mm Kitesurf/jkayak gloves out there with Kevlar / Amara palms.

Grip strength is the challenge as any liner under your glove drops the strength quickly (thinner handle helps).

What i found works for me:

1. Using clinchers

2. Using 0.5mm titanium liners

3. Thinner handle than without liners

4. Warm hands in hot water before going out and keep out the water

With this I have full feeling and almost full grip for a full set. The problem is that even with clinchers the liners wear through and then your hands get cold quite quickly - typically use 2-3 pairs a winter.

Last year tried a new combination:

1. Clinchers

2. 3mm Open palm kayak gloves

3. Warm hands before going out and keep out the water

Works a treat - turns out that its the back of your hands that lose the heat really quickly and get hit by the windchill If I keep my hands on the handle I can go a full set with almost normal grip strength.

FYI - we break the ice to ski when necessary so this is tried and tested to 0deg C :)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/IST-S900-Amara-Neoprene-Gloves/dp/B076T42L95

https://www.roostersailing.com/products/105322

https://www.wetsuitcentre.co.uk/mystic-star-3mm-open-palm-wetsuit-mitten.html

• Baller_
So I have to amend my post from above - I had tested the Camaro Titanium Gloves as liners just in cold water at home.. definitely keeps warm, but my first attempt actually skiing with them, I feel like they're too slick against the actual ski glove and half my grip strength was going towards just keeping the outer glove from slipping down my fingers. Did not like it, will be trying other solutions.

• Baller

@lefty - yes indeed. Helps when the water is in a solid state.

I have found the nitrile gloves under your regular skiing gloves worked very well. I also held my hands out of the water when I dropped at each end. The wind was the biggest factor for me in skiing in cold water and temperatures.