When is the right time to start jumping with a sling?

jgills88

• Baller

I've been jumping for a little while, and decided to try 3/4ing on my last set of the season. It went reasonably well timing wise, and I'd love to actually put time into learning it properly. Now my question is should I look into getting a sling before next season as I actually learn to 3/4?

Would it be better to get comfortable with the cut, distance, and timing before adding more equipment?

When I eventually do get a sling, what is a good way to warm up to it? I've heard that it's important to wear it on a few sets, is a good progression similar to learning to jump again? (Ride overs -> singles -> 3/4s)

• Administrators

@jgills88

If you are doing ¾ cuts it is likely time for a sling BUT this is the sort of question that should be answered by a PROFESSIONAL coach watching you from the boat. If you are going to jump and you do not have experienced jumpers around you then it is time to take a trip to Bennetts, Travers, SkiFluid, Matt Rini’s or other…

• Administrators
@jgills88 a long time ago (in a galaxy far far away) I was an open rated jumper. The one thing I know to be true is that without wise guidance jumping is a terrible idea. You might get hurt anyway but if you find a legit coach you will be a lot safer. Also if your boat crew does not know what they are doing you are much more likely to to get hurt.

• Baller

The answer is... it depends. As @Horton mentioned - that question needs to be answered by someone who knows what they are doing and is watching you from the boat. Your body position and other factors play a role in the decision. Some people benefit from a sling sooner than others. Putting a sling on too soon can be dangerous and detrimental to your jumping.

When I eventually do get a sling, what is a good way to warm up to it? I've heard that it's important to wear it on a few sets, is a good progression similar to learning to jump again? (Ride overs -> singles -> 3/4s)
As for question 2: is is best to spend time riding the skis away from the ramp with the sling on and the arm sling "loose" in that the arm band has a lot of movement. Then gradually tighten the sling. (ALL OF THIS IS DONE WHILE RIDING SKIS AWAY FROM THE RAMP) Once you are comfortable riding skis with the sling then you progress into singles, etc.

• Baller

@Broussard thank you for the advice!

@unksskis I was only able to take one "real" one last season and went straight out the back when I hit the ramp (I've since found out that's super common to do the first time 3/4ing). The video my buddy took had me landing around 85ft upside down, I bumped my letter to G for the last set or two, but i had been on D all season before that.

• Baller_

I would spend the time and $$$ and get some professional coaching or ski with higher end jumpers (if any exists anymore) get them to help with that. if your a spastic lander then probably not ready for a sling.

if you are doing glorified single wake cuts (narrow 3/4 )probably not ready for sling.

when you do think your ready don't just install it and go take a poke, ski around with it and get comfortable. handle control is just as important in jumping as it is in the other two events.